Just like last year, HMD Global has kick-started 2018 with a bang after launching the Nokia 6 (2018) which is an all souped version of last year’s Nokia 6 that breathed fire in the entry-level segment.
From a powerful processor to a more RAM and internal memory, from a tweaked bothie mode to a hint of gold on the camera module, Nokia 6 (2018) perfectly covers up its predecessor’s drawbacks which, despite having an outstanding build quality, could never manage to become a VFM mid-budget smartphone.
But all of this in the past and Nokia 6 (2018) is the stepping stone of HMD Global’s journey this year, in which, the company is looking to resurrect the brand to the fullest and once again become a leading player in the industry.
Before going further with how the Nokia 6 (2018) is better and different from its last year version, let’s take a look at the spec sheet first.
Nokia 6 (2018) Specifications
- 5.5-inch (1920 x 1080 pixels) full-HD display with 2.5D curved glass, 16:9 aspect ratio, 403ppi, and Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
- 64-bit Octa-Core Snapdragon 630 14nm chipset clocked at 2.2 GHz and paired with Adreno 508 GPU for graphics
- 4GB LPDDR4 RAM and 32GB/64GB (eMMC 5.1) of internal storage, expandable up to 128GB via microSD card
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) out of the box, upgradable to Android 8.0 (Oreo)
- Fingerprint sensor at the rear and Hybrid Dual SIM
- 16MP rear camera with PDAF, f/2.0 aperture, 1.0um pixel size and dual-tone LED flash.
- 8MP front camera with fixed focus, f/2.0 aperture, 1.12-pixel size and 84° wide-angle lens
- 3.5mm audio jack and FM Radio
- 3000mAh battery with fast charging support
- Dimensions: 148.8×75.8×8.15-8.6mm and Weight: 172g
- 4G VoLTE, Bluetooth 5.0, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n, GPS/GLONASS, NFC and USB Type-C support.
Nokia 6 (2018) Price And Availability
Priced at 1499 yuan (Rs. 14,655 approx.) for the 32GB internal storage version and 1699 yuan (Rs. 16,610 approx.) for the 64GB storage version, Nokia 6 (2018) will be available in Black and Silver color options from 10th January in China.
As for its global launch, there has been no word on the matter but we expect the smartphone in the second quarter of the year.
What’s new in the Nokia 6 (2018)?
- More efficient and powerful Snapdragon 630 processor instead of SD 430.
- The fingerprint scanner was earlier found at the front, embedded in the home button.
- Dual-Sight and Bothie feature, which was seen in the Nokia 8, makes its debut in the mid-budget segment with the Nokia 6 (2018).
- Bluetooth Version 5.0 instead of 4.1
- Fasts Charging support with the 3000mAh battery.
- 4GB RAM instead of 3GB and storage capacity has been increased to 64 GB from 32GB.
- USB Type-C port for data syncing and charging.
- On-screen navigation keys instead of physical capacitive keys for navigation.
- A sharper design with bold accents on the camera module, fingerprint scanner, around the power button and volume rockers.
Nokia 6 (2018) Review (First Impressions)
- Same dependable aluminum series 6000 build quality.
- More premium design with gold accents.
- Bright display which offers great viewing angles for media consumption.
- Bothie mode has further improved an already commendable camera package.
- Snapdragon 630, 4GB RAM and Adreno 508 GPU has made Nokia 6 (2018) the perfect mid-budget smartphone for heavy gaming and multitasking.
- As usual, Stock Android gives it an edge over its competition.
What we didn’t like about the device
- No Android Oreo out of the box rather it will be added via an update later this year.
- Dolby Atmos sound technology has been omitted.
With so much to love about the Nokia 6 (2018) and numerous addition to the specs-sheet, HMD Global has still managed to keep the pricing same as that if the previous year model, which is indeed commendable. Moreover, with a performance package at par with its Chinese counterparts and a better for multimedia consumption, Nokia 6 (2018) will definitely have an edge over its competition.
In short, this is the “The Best Evolution Of A Mid-Budget Smartphone Ever”.