Turnip is a very common vegetable consumed across the world. It is one of the oldest cultivated vegetables. It is also known as white turnip or purple vegetable. It is a biennial plant in the mustard family (Brassicaceae). It belongs to the cruciferous family which also includes brussel sprout, kale, broccoli, and others. Benefits of turnip lies in its impressive nutritional values with bio active compounds like glucosinolate, and flavonoids, which helps in maintaining blood sugar, boosts immunity, aids digestion, helps in weight loss, and many more.
The turnip root is formed by the thickening of the primary root of the seedling together with the base of the young stem just above it. The green leaves of turnip are also used in different salads, soups, stews, etc. It can be eaten raw or cooked.
Health Benefits of A Turnip
Turnip, the purple vegetable, is known for its high nutritional value with a low calorie count. The health benefits of a turnip can be summarized as follows :
● Boost digestion — one of the prominent health benefits of a turnip includes its ability to aid digestion and keep away problems like constipation, diarrhea, bloating, etc. This is achieved because turnips are rich in dietary fiber, which plays an important role in digestive process as well in nutrient absorption in the gut.
● Anti cancerous in nature – the health benefits of a turnip includes its anticancer nature due to the presence of glucosinolates. These bioactive compounds are beneficial in preventing various kinds of cancer like breast, colon, lung, or prostate cancer. Turnips also contain flavonoids, mainly anthocyanin (they are present in blue and purple fruits and vegetables like blueberries) which is a known anticancer compound.
● Boosts Immunity — turnips are a great source of vitamin C and ascorbic acid which are very crucial for our immune system. Vit.C stimulates the production of white blood cells and antibodies. Vit. C also acts as an antioxidant.
● Aids Weight Loss — any weight loss diet consists of food items that are low in calories, rich in fiber, have less fat and rich in nutrients, and turnips fulfill all these criteria and that’s why it is one of the recommended food items for weight loss. It keeps you feeling full due to high dietary fiber. You can eat both the root and leafy greens of the turnip.
● Maintains Blood Sugar Levels – various studies have revealed that turnips help in lowering blood sugar levels and maintaining it too. This is possible due to : increased blood sugar clearance, decreased glucose production by liver, and decreased absorption of carbs.
● Prevents osteoporosis — another health benefit of turnip includes its capacity to decrease osteoporosis and improve bone health. This happens as turnips are rich in calcium which is so important for boosting bone density.
● Good for eye health — turnips are rich in lutein, a kind of antioxidant. This helps in preventing eye macular degeneration and cataracts.
● Promotes Good Skin — turnips are an excellent source of vitamin C which is necessary for collagen production. Collagen is the main protein in our skin. Turnips is also rich in antioxidants which prevents oxidative stress by free radicals thus preventing wrinkling, pigmentation of the skin and promotes anti- aging.
● Anti inflammatory — turnips are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin K which are involved in lowering inflammatory processes in our body. That is why turnip can help in various inflammatory conditions like arthritis, gout, etc.
Also Read: Great Health Benefits of Radish And Its Leaves
Nutritional Facts Of Turnip
The nutritional facts of turnip (raw) includes :
|Calories per 100 grams||28|
|Dietary fiber||1.8 grams|
|Saturated fat||0 grams|
|Vitamin C||25 – 35% of daily value|
|Folate||5% of daily value|
|Calcium & Phosphorus||3% of daily value|
The nutritional value of turnip (leaves) :
|Calories in a cup of turnip greens (55 gms)||18 grams|
|Vitamin K||115% of daily value|
|Vitamin C||35% of daily value|
|Folate||27% of daily value|
|Provitamin A||37% of daily value|
|Calcium||8% of daily value|
So, both the root and greens of turnip are highly nutritious. Turnip greens are especially rich in vitamins and minerals as compared to the root fleshy part.
Benefits of A Turnip Root
Turnip is a versatile vegetable as it can be used in different ways esp. roots. The benefits of turnip root are as follows :
● Easy to cultivate
● Can be consumed raw or cooked
● Assists in weight loss, rich in fiber and low in calories.
● Helps in boosting immunity as its rich in vitamin C
● Easily available and cost effective too.
● Can be easily stored and transported.
● Used in the cattle industry as fodder for cattles.
Turnip is one the most underrated vegetables although it has many impressive health benefits and boasts a high nutritional profile. They can be added in curries, mash, salads, stews, soups, etc. so, enjoy this winter vegetable.
Also Read: Top 8 Proven Dry Broccoli Health Benefits