Fried rice is one of those dishes that you can make with pretty much what you have in your kitchen. As long as you have the rice, you can add any vegetable, proteins, and sauces that you prefer. If it’s your first time, or you’ve tried and failed, there are a few things you should know about how to make fried rice.
Never use freshly cooked rice.
If you want crispy fried rice, you would have to use day-old rice. No matter how much oil you cook, the freshly cooked rice will never achieve the desired, slightly crispy texture.
Trick: Put freshly cooked rice in the freezer for 15 to 30 minutes to reproduce the old dry texture.
Do not fry the rice in olive oil. – How to Make Fried Rice
Do not fry your rice in any kind of aromatic oil like extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil. The rice needs to be cooked in an adequate amount of oil to get the right texture. You can overwhelm the dish if you use an oil that is too aromatic.
In addition, these oils generally have a lower smoking point, i.e., the temperature at which oil begins to burn, which is not ideal for something that needs to be cooked to a crispy texture at high temperatures, such as fried rice.
Use a neutral oil like canola or refined peanut, both of which have a higher smoking point.
If you use fresh vegetables, saute them first.
The last thing you want to bite off, digging into a bowl of fried rice is a piece of raw vegetables. So if you are using fresh vegetables, give them a quick wok saute before adding the rice.
Always add eggs.
Even if you use another source of protein like chicken, eggs are a must in every fried rice recipe. They are the glue that holds the whole dish together. Add scrambled eggs to make fried rice, but also free to garnish your finished masterpiece with a fried egg.
Let the eggs cook completely before combining them with the rice. Otherwise, the raw egg will turn the rice into a risotto-like consistency.
Suggested Read: The Best And Easiest Cheesecake Recipe
Use less soy sauce.
Too much soy sauce is awful for fried rice. It can take something that has been perfectly cooked and turn it into a wet and tasteless mess. Use less soy sauce than you think the dish needs because you can add more when you eat.
In some cases, you may want to skip it entirely like if you decided to use fresh rice instead.
Add some sugar and acid.
Fried rice has a very subtle sweetness. This sweetness only comes when you add a little sugar. Don’t use too much sugar, a tablespoon or less is enough. Add acidic vinegar to offset the saltiness of the soy sauce, the richness of the eggs, and the sweetness of the sugar. A teaspoon of vinegar or lime juice is sufficient.
1. 300 g Basmati rice
2. 600 ml of water
3. 250 g chicken or cottage cheese
4. Two cloves of garlic
5. Two spring onion
6. 200 g peas, fresh or frozen
7. 1 Red pepper
8. 1 Tablespoon sugar
9. Two carrots
10. Two eggs
11. 3 Tablespoons of Canola Oil
12. 2 Tablespoons of soy sauce
13. 1 Tsp cayenne pepper
14. 1 Tsp turmeric
15. 1 Stem of coriander
Suggested Read: How To Make Pancakes – Perfect Basic Recipe
How to make fried rice
1. Rinse the rice in a colder under running water, let it drain. Bring the rice with water and salt to the boil in the covered saucepan. Let the rice cool and keep it in the refrigerator for one day.
2. Cut garlic and dice finely. Remove roots from spring onions, wash and cut into rings. Wash pepper and carrots. Peel and dice the carrots. Remove the stem and de-seed the pepper and cut it into thin strips. Whisk eggs well in a small bowl.
3. Heat the oil and stir-fry the chicken or cottage cheese and garlic for about 5 minutes. Add the whisked eggs and let them stir, stirring constantly. Add rice, soy sauce, sugar, cayenne pepper, curry and turmeric. Fry until the rice is hot. Reduce heat and fold in vegetables.
4. Serve the fried rice garnished with the sauce and fresh coriander.