Most people are not very familiar with the term “isometric exercises”. No, don’t fret, it is not some new Internet popular exercise trend that you know nothing about. Iso means equal and metric means measure. These are a group of exercises that focuses on the equal contraction of muscles.
These might sound like something new and unique, but most of you have done some of them in one of your gym sessions. Plank holds, chair sit? Rings any bell? All these exercises are an example of isometric exercises.
These exercises are known for making your strength from within and are considered to be an essential part of any workout. Isometric exercises are quite popular for gaining muscles and increasing strength, and unlike weight training or cardio, you can instantly feel the effects of isometric exercises.
So, let’s get right into the best of the best of these exercises.
1. Plank Hold – Isometric Exercises
It is considered as one of the best exercises if you want to build those chiseled abs.
Targeted muscles: Quadriceps, abdominals, and the anterior portion of the deltoid muscle.
- Start with your body in a flat position now raise your body horizontally with your weight on your toes and forearms.
- Don’t forget to flex your hips forward (butts clenched) and stop your hips from sinking.
- Stay in this position for 30 seconds.
- You should feel all the tension in your shoulders and core in the abdominal area.
- Do this for 4 rounds of 30-second holds.
2. Wall Sits
It a very good exercise to strengthen your legs especially the thigh areas.
Targeted muscles: Hamstrings, Glutes and quadriceps.
- Stand at least 2 feet away from a wall, lean your back against the wall.
- Lower your bottom so that your legs form a right angle (90 degrees). Your body posture should imitate the same posture as if you are sitting on a chair.
- Hold this position for 15-20 seconds.
- Do 5 rounds of a 15-20 second hold.
- While holding this position, you will feel that your thighs are getting tighter and more fatigued. Try Experimenting going back and forth between shifting your weight through your toes, then to your heels. Shifting the weight to your heels will target your glutes while shifting it to your toes will target your quadriceps.
- Make sure that you’re not letting your knees go our past your toes, and not putting too much pressure on your knees.
3. The Glute Bridge – Isometric Exercises
One of the best isometric exercises if you’re aiming to improve back posture and increase strength.
Targeted muscles: Glutes and hamstrings
- Start with Lying on your back then bend your knees and keep your arms by your sides.
- Start raising your hips by pressing your weight down with your palms and your feet.
- Keep clenching your glute muscles and keep your weight down on your heels.
- You will soon feel your glutes and hamstrings starting to fatigue.
- Fight the urge to let your hips go down.
- Do 5 rounds of a 30-second hold each.
4. Body hold
This isometric exercise mainly focuses on core toning and increasing the strength of your core.
Targeted muscles: Upper and lower muscles of your abdominal area.
- For this exercise first of all sit on your bottom and bend your knees and feet on the mat.
- After this, raise your arms and keep your legs straight while creating a “V” shape with your body.
- Hold this posture for 15 seconds.
- Perform 5 rounds of this.
Suggested Read: Fitness Tips That Make You Look Like CR7
5. Overhead hold
An excellent exercise for strengthening your shoulders. For this, you will require some lightweight (for starters 15-pound dumbbell will do)
Targeted muscles: Anterior, posterior, and superior parts of the shoulder.
- While holding the weights extend your arms above your head and keep the weight steady.
- Keep in mind that you have to keep your arms fully stretched. If you will bend your arms it will engage different muscles (your biceps and triceps).
- Keep the weight over your head for 30-second intervals.
- Perform 5 rounds of this.
Suggested Read: Cardio Exercises at Home
So these were some of the best isometric exercises which strengthen your body and will help you in getting that chiseled dream body of yours, as well as, toning you up.