Chia Seeds are the black seeds derived from Salvia hispanica plant, which is a member of the mint family. These seeds are originally grown in Central & South America and have gained popularity in the whole world because of the amazing benefits it has.
These tiny seeds are packed with antioxidants and Omega 3 fatty acids. They come in brown and white color as well. They can be eaten cooked or raw or even soaked in water overnight before eating. Eating 2 tablespoons of chia seeds everyday can fulfil:
18% of your calcium needs
27% of phosphorus
30% of manganese
Here Are Some Amazing Benefits of These Slimy Seeds – Chia Seeds Are Good For Health
- Chia seeds are packed with dietary fiber which is excellent for the digestive system. Fiber helps in avoiding the bowel inflammation as well as maintaining the cholesterol level.
- They help in weight loss. The soluble & insoluble fiber present in them digests slowly in the body thereby preventing the person to feel hungry for a longer period of time. Chia seeds provide a feeling of fullness in your stomach and curbs your craving for eating unhealthy snacks.
- Chia seeds are gluten-free. Also, one of the benefits of eating these seeds is that they help maintain healthy blood sugar level, especially beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes.
- The Omega 3 present in these seeds helps to lower the risk of heart attack, stroke etc. and regulates the blood pressure.
- Some research studies indicate that chia seeds also promote brain health.
- Chia seeds promote bone health since they are high in calcium. 25 grams of these seeds contains 157 grams of calcium which is more than the calcium present in 100ml milk.
Suggested Read: What Are The Benefits Of Bananas? Why is banana the ultimate fruit? Let’s find out
How to Use Chia Seeds in Your Daily Diet
Chia seeds are easily available in major grocery stores. It has recently gained popularity because of its weight loss capability and almost every nutritionist recommends them to add in your daily diet. One of the popular ways of having chia seeds is soaking them for a few minutes or overnight in milk or water. The seeds expand after the soaking process and usually feel like slime or gel.
- Chia seeds have a neutral taste as compared to other seeds. Therefore, you can soak them in flavored milk or any fruit juice. It’s called Chia Fresco.
- Chia seeds are great to be used in smoothies, shakes or cold coffees. You can also eat them raw if you don’t wish to mix them in anything.
- If you want to make an eggless cake, mix a tablespoon of chia in 3 tablespoons of water and let it sit for a few minutes. You will see a gel-forming which can then be used in baking the cake.
- You can make an excellent chia pudding by mixing ¼ cup of chia seeds in 1 cup of milk and leave in the fridge overnight. Take it out in the morning and add any flavor or sweetener as desired.
- These can be mixed in yoghurt or oats to power up your breakfast.
- Another healthy way is to dry roast the chia seeds and add them in your salads. Make sure that the heat is medium while roasting the seeds so that it doesn’t burn or leave its natural oil present in it.
- Since they can absorb up to 27 times their weight in water, chia seeds are excellent replacement of egg in baking recipes. It can be used in making breads, muffins and granola bars.
Suggested Read: 5 Delicious And Healthy Oats Recipes For Weight Loss
- You can even add the raw seeds in your sandwich or a simple butter toast since they do not have a flavor of their own.
- Chia seeds prevent ageing and fight acne scars therefore you can also make a face mask. Mix 2 tablespoon of these seeds with half a cup of coconut oil and add a tablespoon of lemon juice. Apply this mask and let it sit for 10-12 minutes. Massage your face in a circular motion and wash it off with lukewarm water.
Chia seeds can be considered a superfood because of its great nutritional value and multiple beneficial ways. You can add them in your breakfast, or any meal of the day and it will give you the desired health benefits.