Table of Contents
- 1 Amazing Home Remedies For Open Pores
- 1.1 1. Aloe Vera
- 1.2 2. Egg Whites
- 1.3 3. Besan
- 1.4 4. Banana Peel
- 1.5 5. Lemons – Home Remedies For Open Pores
- 1.6 6. Argon Oil – Home Remedies for Open Pores
- 1.7 7. Baking Soda
Open pores is a common skin condition seen in people with oily and combination skin type. These large pores are often visible to the naked eye and it is caused because of excess sebum (oil) production from sebaceous glands. These glands are located under the skin’s surface and such openness in the pores can also increase acne as they catch and hold dirt and provide a perfect breeding site to bacterium causing infections. However, there are tons of home remedies for open pores that one can try and get effective results.
Blackheads, a common skin problem, form into plugs at the opening of your pores and is another byproduct of the condition. While some prefer to go to the parlours to extract these black and whiteheads, the only way to treat them, in the long run, is to work on closing these open pores.
What Causes These Open Pores?
To effectively treat and close up these open pores, we need to first understand the root cause behind these open pores. There are multiple reasons for this problem to occur and some of them include:
a. Excessive Sun Exposure: As Indians, we don’t have much information about the side effects of excessive sun exposure, or the grave importance of sunblock for those matters. Apart from causing tan and boosting aging, excessive sun exposure without any protection can also cause damage to the skin collagen, reduces its elasticity, and contribute to open pores.
b. Age: Let’s admit it, our skin changes a lot due to this course of nature called aging, and there’s nothing much to stop it entirely, apart from using products that can slow its time. Over time our skin loses collagen which leads to stretched-out skin and enlarged pores.
c. Genetics: Another entirely natural reason behind open pores is genetics.
d. Hygiene: Open and large pores are also caused due to some of our unhygienic day-to-day activities, and this includes not washing your face regularly.
e. Excessive Oil Secretion: Our sebaceous glands secrete natural oils, and an excess of it can lead to clogged pores.
f. Makeup: Using too much makeup without necessary and required skincare can also contribute to the appearance of open and clogged pores. In addition to that, sleeping with makeup on your skin can exaggerate the process as well.
g. Hormonal Changes: Our hormones have way too much contribution to our skin and health problems and open pores are another example of the same.
h. Sweating Excessively: Accumulation of access sweat on skin can attract dirt, leading to clogged and open pores.
i. Smoking: This might not be something that you expect but smoking as well contributes to the problem of open and clogged pores. It is the chemical residue in cigarettes that creates an unhealthy amount of build-up in open pores.
j. Improper Diet: Fried food is considered to be one of the largest contributors of build-up in open pores, hence, one should be mindful of what they’re eating and consuming on a day-to-day basis.
Amazing Home Remedies For Open Pores
Here we have cumulated a list of home remedies for open pores that are tried and tested by individuals for decades to treat open pores and reduce their appearance.
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera being a natural moisturizer, moisturizes the face and helps to shrink large pores in the easiest and effective way. Its gel not only cleanses your skin and removes oil and dirt from the clogged pores, but also nourishes the skin to leave behind a glowing after effect.
How To Use Aloe Vera Gel
- Clean your face with clean water and pat dry with a towel.
- Now, apply some of the aloe vera gel on your face and massage it for few minutes, to undergo your pores
- Let Aloe gel sit for 10 minutes and then rinse with cold water.
2. Egg Whites
Using egg white as one of the home remedies for open pores is a great idea since they’re rich in protein, and tightens and tones the skin, which helps in shrinking the enlarged pores. Egg white masks can also be used to treat virulent forms of acne.
How To Make A Good and Quick Egg Mask
You will need
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In the egg white mix oatmeal and lemon juice (you can use a hand blender to get an even paste).
- You can now apply this paste on your face and let it sit for 30-odd minutes.
- Rinse it off with cold water.
Besan, also known as gram flour or chickpea flour, is an excellent ingredient to be used in a face pack. Not only it exfoliates the skin and removes dead cells but also tightens large pores. Moreover, it is also able to remove excess oil from the skin.
How To Make A Quick Face Pack Using Besan
Things you require
- 1 tablespoon besan
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- Coconut or Olive oil
Mix all the ingredients and make a fine paste of it. Apply this and let it sit for 20-30 minutes. Rinse with cold water and pat dry.
4. Banana Peel
Yes! You can use banana peel as one of the home remedies for open pores, due to the presence of an antioxidant called lutein along with potassium in it. The peel helps your skin to heal and smoothen it on a regular application. Also, it’s quite easy to apply.
How To Use Banana Peel For Open Pores
Take a banana peel and gently rub the insides of it on your, massage for 10-15 minutes and then rinse off with cold water. This method is very effective and one of the most trusted home remedies for open pores.
5. Lemons – Home Remedies For Open Pores
The citrus king of fruits can also help in fighting open pores. Lemon juice holds astringent characteristics. It helps tighten the skin and unclogs pores. It has been hailed as one of the most effective home remedies for open pores and blackheads. The citric acid present in Lemons helps loosen and break the impurity’s chemical bond which is formed within our skin, thus cleaning pores and leaving behind clear skin.
6. Argon Oil – Home Remedies for Open Pores
Argon oil is lauded for its great benefits in hair care; however, many still don’t know about its healing properties on the skin. Argon oil helps tighten pores and also helps in unclogging them. This is also possible because Argon oil is rich in fatty acids and Vitamin E, leading to optimum hydration of your skin, giving it a glow and diminishing the appearance of open pores. For this particular home remedy for open pores, you would need 2-4 drops of argon oil.
- Warm up the oil between your fingertips and gently massage your face with it.
- Let it sit on your face for about 30 minutes, and rinse it with warm water.
- Repeat this process every night before going to bed for glowing and well-hydrated skin.
7. Baking Soda
Another one of the super simple home remedies for open pores is the usage of baking soda which can be used as a scrub to clean up your face and reduce the appearance of open pores.
Baking Soda is known for balancing the pH levels of one’s skin by reducing its acid content. It also scrubs off the dead skin cells and acts as an anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial agent to calm your skin.
- a. Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda with 2 tablespoons of warm water to form a thicker consistency paste.
- b. Apply the mix on your skin and massage it for 30 seconds, rinse it with normal water
- c. You can apply this mix about 3 times a week and you’re good to go.
Few Tips To Prevent Open Pores – After the remedies
1. Make sure to cleanse your face regularly using a mild cleanser, at least twice a day to keep the pores clean.
2. A deep-pore cleansing once a month is a must for eliminating the chances of getting open pores.
3. Exfoliate twice a week with a scrub to keep the pores in check.
4. Always stay hydrated
5. Use lukewarm water for washing your face, absolutely not use hot water as it strips your skin of natural oils.
6. Don’t squeeze out the blackheads and pimples, they can lead to scars and open pores.
7. Always remove your makeup before bed and don’t sleep with a full face of makeup
8. Use of primer and moisturizer is always recommended to keep your skin hydrated.
9. Eat healthy and more fruits and vegetables
10. Don’t pick on your skin, no matter how bored you are or how appealing it seems.
11. Use sunblock and sunscreens at all times, even when you’re just sitting at home.
How To Use Lemons For Open Pores
Dilute the juice of one lemon in water and gently apply it with a cotton ball leave it for 10 minutes and rinse with cold water. Don’t forget to apply a mild moisturizer after this as the acid will dehydrate your skin. Never use lemon juice unless it’s diluted.
These were some of the most trusted and tested home remedies for open pores you can use. You can work with them at a frequency of two-three times a week and you can find already find them in your kitchen or in a market near you.