It is that time of the year again when shopaholics across India will be planning their annual shopping/sightseeing spree to the city of gold – Dubai. If you have not yet planned then it is just the right time as any later the airfares will skyrocket and all the good hotels will be running out of vacancy.
Why Dubai, one would say, when there is snow all over in Shimla, Manali, Jammu and Auli and the sun is shining bright at the Sunburn festival in Goa? There are many reasons to head to the UAE in pursue of glamour and fashion. The city sheds its old attire and dons a brand new gown of glory each year in the first month to welcome shoppers from across the world. In this age when everything is just a click away, there must be something very mystifying about Dubai that thousands throng the malls and beaches of this city for their yearly pilgrimage in the name of Versace and Jimmy Choo.
Behold dear readers some of the fun reasons to visit Dubai this time of the year –
• When most of Northern India is reeling under a cold wave, the pleasant weather in Dubai will give you the much needed sunlight to brighten your spirits.
• The Dubai Shopping Festival which kicks off on January 1st and end on 1st February beckons all fashionista and gadget gurus with mummy, daddy and kiddo in tow. There is something for everyone in the numerous malls, souks and theme parks spread across the city.
• It is not only the shopping but a whole lot of experiential travel that will feed your body, mind and soul as you wander the old city and its hyper-metropolitan newer segments.
• You could divide the city into zones which correlate to specific items high on your ‘must buy’ list. This will help you plan to shop better and cover the whole city at the same time. For example, the ladies in the family could go to Deira, near the Creek for shopping at the old souks while the men may wander downtown to the Dubai Mall for looking through some electronics and accessories.
• When you are just waving goodbye to the past year, why not welcome the new one with a completely new wardrobe which you can furnish for yourself at the umpteen shopping options that the city offers.
It is not just the Dubai Shopping Festival which should be on your mind while you are in the city. The most suitable weather of the year is the reason behind the city organizing the shopping festival around this time. While days are bearably sunny, the nights are breezy cool. This is the best time for people to enjoy desert safaris which might be a very tiring idea in the otherwise hot sunny months. Not just a Desert Safari, you could enjoy a sky diving experience at the Skydive Dubai centre in Al Sufouh or Ski at the indoor ski slopes at the Mall of the Emirates Al Barsha.
For the speed junkies, the Ferrari world in Abu Dhabi is just a couple of hours drive.
In short, even in a mixed group, there will be no dearth of things to do for even the most fussy travellers of all.
To beat the Indian winters, flaunt your party bests or simply to gawk and shop at the fineries which will be yours for the asking, visit Dubai this season.
While you are there, do not miss out on the exquisite Zafran tea at Filli café. You are sure to find one in any vicinity or simply ask your friendly cab operator, they will be happy to help.
16 Dec 2015