Unable to sleep, snoring, walking up and down with tingling legs, dozing off several times a day – sleep problems have many faces and numerous causes. You may have wondered at some point in your life while lying on the bed, Why can’t I sleep? What causes sleeplessness? Let’s answer that today.
For humans, sleep is just as essential as oxygen, water, and food. A few days without food is a challenge for many, but it can be endured. But what happens if the body is deprived of sleep for weeks? A sleepless night disturbs your biorhythm, and you feel depressed, tired, and have difficulty concentrating. However, this condition is common for many people because they suffer from sleep disorders. But what causes sleeplessness, and how can you fix it?
Affected people can suffer from sleep disorders so much that it can have severe consequences on their well-being. That is why it is essential to be able to sleep better and wake up fresh in the morning. Sleep is also so important because many impressions and topics are processed in the meantime, learning is also done during sleep, and problem-solving processes take place. But what causes sleeplessness?
The lack of sleep is commonly known as Insomnia. Insomnia can occur acutely and subside, but under certain conditions like mismatches on a physical, mental, and psychological level, it can also become chronic. Among other things, fears or depression can be responsible for Insomnia or sleep disorder.
What Can Disturb My Sleep? – What Causes Sleeplessness
If you have been sleeping poorly for at least a month more than three nights a week, you may have a sleep disorder. The technical term for this is chronic Insomnia. Sleeping disorder can have different causes:
1. Too Much Alcohol
Alcohol is one of the most common causes of sleep disorders. Many people fall asleep faster after drinking alcohol, but sleep is much less restful. Those who drink less alcohol sleep better and are more relaxed. That is also the reason why some people start calling their friends and relatives, especially their ex’s, after having more than a few drinks.
2. Sleepwalking, Nightmares, Worries, and Fears
Nightmares and fears also give you sleepless nights because the adrenaline levels in the blood increase, and you remain active for longer hours. If someone sees you sleepwalking, it would not just be your sleep that would be disturbed.
3. Snoring and Breathing Difficulties
If you snore or someone you share the room with snores, you may wake up at night. It would be challenging to fall asleep after that because the brain fears the noise it hears.
Suggested Read: These are the 5 Things to Avoid for a Good Night’s Sleep
4. Grinding Your Teeth – What Causes Sleeplessness
It could also be that you grind your teeth at night and therefore do not sleep well. This is called bruxism. Grinding teeth provokes the feeling of anger or hunger, and in both cases, sleep goes away.
Other Main Causes of Insomnia are:
- Lifestyle, luxury foods such as coffee, alcohol, smoking
- Sleeping environment
- Disruptions in the sleep-wake rhythm caused by jet lag, shift work
- Medicines, sleeping pills
- Cardiovascular disorders
- Respiratory, lung diseases
- Heartburn, gastrointestinal disorders
- Chronic pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis and other chronic joint diseases, arthrosis
- Fibromyalgia syndrome
- Headache, migraine
- Hormonal influences, for example in the menopause
- Thyroid disease
- Urge to urinate, kidney disease, prostate disease
- Neurological disorders such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Stress, mental stress, burn-out syndrome
- Depression, mania, anxiety disorders
Persistent sleep disorders can also be an indication of an illness. If you are unsure of where your sleep problems come from, you can consult a doctor and ask why can’t I sleep. However, in general, your sleep problems are probably not a medical problem.
How Can You Treat Sleeplessness or Insomnia?
Control The Stress Levels
Stress, hectic pace and noise make you sick in the long run. If you start to notice symptoms of overload, don’t wait too long to take any action towards recovery. Inner restlessness, feelings of anxiety, and sleep disorders are warning signals of your body, listen to it and do something about it.
Fix General Causes for Sleeplessness
Sometimes, however, there are also straightforward external reasons for disturbed sleep like noise with the window open, too much light, too heavy meals in the evening, an irregular sleep rhythm. These can easily be controlled to get a good night’s sleep again.
A lot of what you might do in the evening can churn you up and prevent you from falling asleep soon. These things could help you sleep better.
1. Listen to soft music for a while before going to bed and don’t make calls or play games on the computer or mobile phone.
2. Drink water, herbal soda, juice spritzer, or fruit tea in the evening and avoid stimulating drinks like cola, energy drinks, coffee, black, or green tea.
3. Don’t smoke before going to bed because the nicotine in cigarettes can be stimulating.
4. Do strenuous exercise in the early evening rather than shortly before bed.
If you are unable to sleep properly for the first time in your life and the answer to your question ‘What causes sleeplessness? Why can’t I sleep?’ is not love, we would suggest you follow the above steps and try and improve the quality of sleep.
*This article only contains general information and must not be used for self-diagnosis or treatment. It does not substitute a visit to the doctor.