Xiaomi Mi 5X Specifications And Review: It can’t get any better than this but the smartphone can eat up Redmi Note 4’s sales at this price.
As expected, Xiaomi Mi 5X has been launched in China and it comes with Mi 6’s dual-camera setup as well as the all new MIUI 9 preloaded. The Xiaomi Mi 5X is the first smartphone from the Chinese maker with the new software which brings Smart Assistant, built-in Image Search, new file system and much more to the lineup.
Xiaomi has been on a roll in 2017, from launching the flagship Mi 6 smartphone to hitting back at the budget segment with the likes of Note 4 and Redmi 4A, and now it looks like the company is working towards reclaiming the numero uno position in China, when it comes to budget smartphones, as the like Oppo, Vivo, and Huawei have left Xiaomi way back in terms of sales.
Coming to the Xiaomi Mi 5X, this particular smartphone has garnered a lot of interest from the market due to its flagship hardware at a budget, which is also how Xiaomi is expected to target its coming launches as well.
But will the Xiaomi Mi 5X help the company trade punches with the competition in China as well as other Asian markets like India, where it is expected to launch soon? Let’s see.
Xiaomi Mi 5X Specifications And Review
- 5.5-inch (1920 x 1080) LTPS Full HD 2.5D curved glass display, with 450 nit brightness, 401 ppi, and 1000:1 contrast ratio
- 64-bit Octa-Core Snapdragon 625 14nm processor clocked at 2GHz coupled with 650MHz Adreno 506 GPU
- 4GB RAM, 64GB of internal storage, expandable up to 128GB with microSD
- MIUI 8 based on Android 7.1.1 (Nougat), which is upgradable to MIUI 9
- 12MP rear camera with wide-angle lens, f/2.2 aperture, dual-tone LED flash, 1.25μm pixel size, Portrait Mode for bokeh effects and secondary 12MP camera with telephoto lens, 1.0 μm pixel size, f/2.6 aperture, PDAF.
- 5MP front-facing camera with real-time beautification, fixed focus, and f/2.0 aperture
- Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor and Hybrid Dual SIM (micro + nano/microSD)
- 3080mAh battery with Quick Charge Support
- Colour Options: Black, Gold, and Rose Gold.
- Dimensions: 155.4×75.8×7.3mm; Weight: 165g 3.5mm
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz), audio jack, dedicated amplifier and Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS, USB Type-C.
What we like about Xiaomi Mi 5X
The fact that Xiaomi Mi 5X comes with a dual camera setup at the rear, alone takes the spotlight here. The pictures come out crisp, detailed and the telephoto lens, offering 2x zoom, makes the results even better.
Unibody metal design with rounded edges and the anti-fingerprint coating offers a smooth finish and premium looks.
The 5MP front camera offers the same performance as seen in other Xiaomi units in the same segment.
Xiaomi Mi 5X comes with Android 7.1.1 Nougat with upgradable MIUI 9 on top that definitely sets a bar when it comes to users’ experience with the UI. There is no excessive bloatware and the interface itself is easy to understand.
The hardware performance package, comprising of SD 625, Adreno 506 GPU, 4GB RAM and 64GB of internal storage, makes multitasking and running heavy applications feel like a walk in the park. Frame drops or lags won’t irritate the users while moderate usage.
5.5-inch (1920 x 1080) LTPS Full HD 2.5D curved glass display in Xiaomi Mi 5X offers great visibility under direct sunlight and is easy on eyes.
What we don’t like about Xiaomi Mi 5X
The performance of 5MP front camera is low lighting conditions has still not been catered by the company.
Although the SD 625 SoC is known for lower battery consumption, downgrading the battery capacity to 3080mAh might not go down well with the interested buyers.
With an asking price of RMB 1499 (approx. Rs. 14,300) we couldn’t have expected more from the Xiaomi Mi 5X as the dual-camera setup and MIUI 9 coupled with a tried and tested hardware, makes Xiaomi Mi 5X one hell of an all-rounder.
Other than that, Xiaomi Mi 5X looks like a Redmi Note 4 with a better camera and upgraded software and this might result in the latter taking a hit in sales figures, as the two are priced way too close to have their separate market.