Just a couple of weeks back, we told our readers that Vivo is going to pip the likes of Samsung and Apple by launching the first-ever smartphone with the Under-Display Fingerprint Scanner and now, here comes a benchmark listing that suggests and Vivo X20 Plus UD is going to be that highly anticipated device.
A recent listing on China’s 3C certification portal has revealed a new smartphone with model name Vivo X20 Plus UD, in which ‘UD’ suggests the introduction of an ‘Under Display’ fingerprint sensor for the handset.
For the unknown, Vivo X20 Plus was launched in the second half of 2017 and left us impressed with the kind of performance credentials as well as multimedia consumption capabilities it came with.
To recall, here are the detailed specifications of Vivo X20 Plus.
- 6.43-inch (2160 x 1080) Full HD+ Super AMOLED display with 18:9 aspect ratio, 376 PPI, and Corning Gorilla Glass Protection.
- 64-bit Octa-Core Snapdragon 660 14nm SoC clocked at 2.2GHz coupled with Adreno 512 GPU for graphics.
- 4B RAM and 64GB of internal memory, expandable with microSD up to 256GB
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) with Funtouch OS 3.2 on top.
- 12MP+5MP dual rear camera with f/1.8 aperture, PDAF, LED flash, HDR, OIS, dual pixel technology, 0.03s dual focus, bokeh effects and slow-mo videos.
- 12MP front camera with soft LED flash, f/2.0 aperture, wide angle lens, and beautification mode.
- Fingerprint sensor at the rear and Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano/microSD).
- Facial recognition for unlocking (Face Wake)
- 3905 mAh non-removable battery with fast charging support
- ES9318 DAC for audio output and 3.5mm audio jack
- 4G VoLTE, Bluetooth v5.0, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz), Micro USB support, NFC and GPS/GLONASS.
- Dimensions: 165.32×80.09x 7.45mm; Weight: 181.5g
Read Our Vivo X20 Plus Review Here.
Coming back to the benchmark listing, it was first spotted by PhoneRadar and the Vivo X20 Plus UD was registered with a model number is BK1124. This smartphone is likely to ship with Synaptics fingerprint sensor.
Let it be known that Synaptics, which is one of the biggest players in the biometric industry, had announced that they are finally ready to start mass-producing under-display fingerprint sensors and the technology will first be available to one of the “top 5″ OEMs.
Since Vivo is among these Original Equipment manufacturers, the chances of Vivo X20 Plus becoming the first smartphone to come with this revolutionized technology. On the other hand, Synaptics has claimed that they are going to make around 70 million units of these sensors available in the market in 2018.
Of course, nothing is completely confirmed at the moment, which means that ‘UD’ could turn out to be something completely different, however, we already know that Vivo will be the first to launch a smartphone with under-display fingerprint sensor and doing so with a new variant of its flagship model seems like a logical choice.