As expected, the Vivo X20 Plus UD is here and the Chinese smartphone manufacturer has become the first ever company to launch a handset with an Under-Display Fingerprint Scanner. For the unknown, Vivo X20 Plus UD was first unveiled CES 2018 and while we were expecting it to launch next month, Vivo seems in a hurry to let people know what the in-display fingerprint scanner is capable of.
That said, the whole package of Vivo X20 Plus UD is basically the non-UD variant of the smartphone which was launched last year with dual cameras, edge-to-edge display, and decent performance credentials.
The smartphone in question, which features a Synaptics Clear ID 9500 optical under-display fingerprint sensor, received certification recently on Chinese telecommunications authority TENAA and was claimed to be called the Vivo X9 Plus UD, initially.
However, Vivo X20 Plus UD is here and Synaptics claims that its technology is even faster than the 3D face recognition feature introduced by Apple on its flagship iPhone X.
The in-display fingerprint sensor is housed between the mainboard and the OLED panel and this technology will not work on LCD panels as the scanner looks through the dots of an OLED panel to recognize the fingerprint. Synaptics even claims that the chance of scanning failure is 1 in 50,000, which is indeed an admirable feat for a new technology.
On the other hand, when it comes to the specs-sheet, it is a mid-budget smartphone which comes with decent hardware package but when the under display fingerprint scanner is added to the mix, X20 Plus UD can be a bigger success story than the OnePlus 5T.
Vivo X20 Plus UD Specifications
- 6.43-inch Full HD+ (2160 x 1080) Super AMOLED display having 18:9 aspect ratio, 376 PPI, 80.6% screen-to-body ratio and Corning Gorilla Glass Protection.
- 64-bit Octa-Core Snapdragon 660 SoC clocked at 2.2GHz paired with Adreno 512 GPU.
- 4GB RAM and 128GB inbuilt storage, expandable with microSD card up to 256GB.
- Funtouch OS 3.2 based Android 7.1.1 (Nougat).
- 24MP+5MP dual rear camera with LED flash, f/1.8 aperture, PDAF, HDR, OIS, 0.03s dual focus, dual pixel technology, slow-mo videos and bokeh effects.
- 24MP front camera with soft LED flash, wide angle lens, f/2.0 aperture, and pre-installed beautification mode.
- Under Display Fingerprint Scanner and Facial recognition for unlocking (Face Wake).
- Hybrid Dual SIM (nano + nano/microSD).
- ES9318 DAC for audio output and 3.5mm audio jack.
- 3800mAh mAh in-built battery with fast charging support.
- Dimensions: 165.32×80.09x 7.45mm; Weight: 181.5g
- 4G VoLTE, Micro USB support, Bluetooth v5.0, GPS/GLONASS, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz) and NFC support.
Vivo X20 Plus UD Price And Availability
While there has been no word on the pricing of this smartphone, Vivo X20 Plus UD is expected to be priced at RMB 3,998 (Rs 39,800 roughly). While the handset will be available in Black with Gold, Matte Black, Gold and Rose Gold color options, its Indian launch is expected very soon with a different moniker.
Also Read: Vivo X20 Plus Review
With the OnePlus 5T already existing in this price segment and with its successor expected to come with the same technology along with the newly launched Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 SoC, Vivo X20 Plus UD might find it hard to sustain in the market for a very long time.
However, if Vivo can become the first company to launch a smartphone with under display fingerprint scanner, we expect the feature to be introduced in its flagship, as well.
What do you think of the Vivo X20 Plus UD and can it trigger a new revolution in smartphone business? Share your thoughts in the comment section below.