Just four months after the launch of Oppo A71, the Chinese smartphone manufacturer has launched its successor, the Oppo A71 (2018) and with this device, the company is looking to display its AI-dreams for the year.
That said, Oppo A71 (2018) is not just about t6he AI technology as the smartphone comes with a host of new changes compared to its predecessor which includes a better processor, more clock speed and it might sound a little odd but it comes with one less gigabyte of RAM.
The biggest highlight of Oppo A71 (2018) is the AI-Beauty Recognition which according to the company is “based on a global image database which serves as an experienced photographer, knowing your beauty and offering the most suitable beautify effect for you”.
Since the Oppo A71 (2018) will be competing against the likes of Xiaomi Mi A1, Moto G5S, Honor 7X and the Nokia 6, there is a lot of ground to cover for Oppo’s new offering and let’s see what it has to offer in order to compete in this cruel segment.
Oppo A71 (2018) Specifications
- 5.2-inch (1280 x 720) FHD IPS display with 16:9 aspect ratio, 2.5D curved glass, 282.42 PPI and Corning Gorilla Glass protection.
- 64-bit Octa-Core Snapdragon 450 SoC clocked at 1.8 GHz and coupled with Adreno 506 GPU for graphics.
- 2GB RAM and 32GB of internal storage, expandable up to 256GB with a microSD card.
- Android 7.1 Nougat out of the box based on ColorOS 3.2.
- 13MP rear camera with LED flash, f/2.2 aperture, wide-angle lens, Depth effect, Ultra HD Technology and Multi-Frame Denoising Technology.
- 5MP front camera with fixed focus, f/2.4 aperture, 1.4μm pixel size, HDR, face detection, and screen flash.
- 3000mAh battery with fast charging support
- Dual SIM support
- O-share file sharing feature offering 100 times faster transfers as compared to Bluetooth.
- Dimensions: 143.1 x 73.8 x 7.6mm and Weight: 137g
- 4G VoLTE, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, micro USB support (not Type-C) and 3.5mm audio jack.
Oppo A71 (2018) Price And Availability
Available in Black and Gold color options, the Oppo A71 (2018) has been launched in Pakistan ahead of its global launch which also includes India. It is currently priced at PKR 19,899 (Rs 11,508 approx.), however, its predecessor, despite being launched at Rs 12,999, recently revived a huge price cut in India which brought its effective price to Rs 9,999 and it will be interesting to see how Oppo A71 (2018) will be priced in India.
Oppo A71 (2018) Review (First Impressions)
The best thing about this smartphone is the camera department which offers a proprietary bokeh effect for selfie shots to blur the background and for images shot through its rear camera sensor, the Oppo A71 (2018) has an Ultra HD Technology and Multi-Frame Denoising Technology to combine a bunch of consecutive images in order to render pictures in up to 32MP resolution.
While its competition comes with dual-rear camera setups, Oppo A71 (2018)’s single sensor itself is a thing of beauty. Moreover, since the MediaTek MT6750 SoC has been replaced by Snapdragon 450 processor, it will give users a bump of almost 15% in performance credentials.
Coming to the letdowns, the smartphone doesn’t even feature a fingerprint scanner but this hints towards the presence Face Detection technology which Oppo has been trying to offer in its mid-rangers.
On the other hand, while a dedicated microSD slot is a nice touch, the cluttered UI will take some time to get used to.
All in all, Oppo A71 (2018) is a rather great smartphone but a price tag anything above Rs 10,000 in India will hold it back on the sales charts.