Micromax Evok Dual Note has been launched by the Indian smartphone maker with a price tag of Rs 9,999 and this has to be the best attempt by Micromax to take on the Chinese rival Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 in the budget smartphone segment.
There was a time when Micromax was in the top three when it came to market share in Indian smartphone business, however, over the time, Chinese manufacturers like Xiaomi, Oppo and Vivo, along with Lenovo, came up with some of the best packed offering and the home grown maker failed to cope up with the increasing competition in the barbaric sub-Rs 15,000 segment, Canvas Knight being its last well-known attempt at holding its ground.
Over the years, we have seen more than a couple of launches from the company but none of them were able to make their mark, however, Micromax Evok Dual Note is another ball game altogether.
Micromax Evok Dual Note comes with a 5.5-inch display and its USP is the dual camera setup at the back, a feature, rarely seen at this price point, but will the Micromax Evok Dual Note be able to make a difference for the Indian smartphone maker? Let’s see!!
Micromax Evok Dual Note Specifications
- 5.5-inch (1920 x 1080) Full HD 2.5D curved glass display, offering 403 ppi.
- 1.5 GHz Octa-Core MediaTek MT6750 64-bit processor coupled with Mali T860 GPU
- 3GB/4GB RAM, 32GB internal storage, expandable memory up to 64GB with microSD
- Android 7.0 (Nougat)
- 13MP rear camera with Sony IMX258 sensor, a secondary 5MP camera coupled with LED Flash, PDAF, and HDR.
- 5MP front-facing fixed focus camera with soft LED flash, 78.4-wide angle lens, and a f/2.0 aperture
- Dual SIM and Fingerprint sensor embedded in the home button
- 3000mAh battery with fast charging, said to deliver 260 hours of standby time, 11 hours worth of talk time and 24 hours of music playback.
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, 3.5mm headphone jack and USB Type-C with OTG.
What’s good in Micromax Evok Dual Note
- The 5.5-inch display is one of the best screens we have seen in this segment and it comes with good viewing angles as well as visibility under direct sunlight.
- While the 1.5 GHz Octa-Core MediaTek MT6750 can’t match SD 625 in performance but Micromax Evok Dual Note, with Mali T860 GPU, 3GB RAM and 32GB of internal storage, is a great performance package. The device can easily handle heavy games and 20 running applications at a time.
- The rear camera offers best in class performance and same goes with the front unit, thanks to the soft flash.
- Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box is a welcomed feature.
- The build quality is up to the mark and Micromax Evok Dual Note will easily fit into your hands.
- Curved edges, a tried and tested design with perfectly placed antenna lines adds a premium look to the smartphone.
What we didn’t like about Micromax Evok Dual Note
- The 3000mAh battery doesn’t come with Qualcomm quick charge support.
- MediaTek MT6750 is not the Snapdragon SoC.
- The front camera struggles under low lighting conditions.
- External memory is only expandable up to 64GB.
- No NFC support, but it is expected to be introduced via a software update.
Guess what? The Indian smartphone maker has finally got the recipe right with the Micromax Evok Dual Note and while it still is not better than the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4, it is no less than the competition, either.
Yes, Micromax Evok Dual Note will be sold as a camera-centric device with enough under the hood power to fulfill the user’s performance needs.
Should you buy one?
Well if a great camera is your need and your budget is limited to Rs 10,000, we would definitely recommend you the Micromax Evok Dual Note and if you need a performance centric smartphone, Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 should still be your first choice.
Micromax Evok Dual Note will be up for grabs on Flipkart starting from 22 August and the 4GB RAM version has not been unveiled as of now.