One might get confused about Apple’s strategies after the Tech Giants launched three smartphones in a single day i.e. iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X, which has nothing to do with the numbers rather than which is the one that Apple wants to sell in huge numbers.
While everyone was waiting for the next iPhone successor, which they got in the form of iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, it turned out that iPhone X is the one which attracted all the highlights, while the ‘8’ became more of a mid-life update rather than a whole new smartphone.
Also Read: iPhone 8 And iPhone 8 Plus Launched
However, iPhone 8 is a successor of iPhone 7 and comes with a host of new features but what we miss in this new edition is major hardware updates. Having said that, when it comes to iPhone X, this is a whole new ball game altogether.
Also Read: What’s New In Apple’s iPhone 8 And iPhone X
The existence of iPhone X reflects where Apple wants its smartphone business to head and it is the biggest radical update to the iPhone line-up yet. iPhone X comes with a starting price of $999 (Rs 64,000) for the 64GB storage variant and $1149 (Rs 74,000) for the 256GB variant, making iPhone X the company’s most expensive iPhone so far. Apple CEO Tim Cook, rightly so, called the iPhone X, “biggest leap forward since the original iPhone.”
But what exactly does iPhone X offers that the company thinks will justify its price tag and why would someone chose this smartphone over its biggest rival Galaxy Note 8, which in its own way is one of the best devices we have ever seen? Let’s see!!
iPhone X Specifications
- 5.8-inch (2436 x 1125) OLED Super Retina HD display with 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio, 3D Touch and 625 cd/m2 max brightness, offering 458ppi.
- 64-bit A11 Six-core Bionic processor coupled with three-core GPU and M11 motion co-processor
- 64GB and 256GB internal storage options
- iOS 11 with augmented reality, drag and drop, revamped control center and screen recording support.
- Dual 12MP rear camera with wide-angle (f/1.8) and telephoto (f/2.4) lens, Dual optical image stabilization (OIS), Six‑element lens, Optical zoom up to 6X, digital zoom up to 10X, Quad-LED True Tone flash, 4K video recording at 60 fps and Slo‑mo 1080p at 240 fps
- 7MP front camera with Retina Flash, f/2.2 aperture, and 1080p video recording,
TrueDepth camera for FaceID facial recognition
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery, supporting Qi wireless charging and fast charging, giving up to 12 hours internet use and up to 21 hours talk time.
- Water and dust resistant (IP67) and Stereo speakers.
- 4G VoLTE, Bluetooth 5.0, WiFi 802.11 ac with MIMO, NFC with reader mode and GPS with GLONASS.
- Dimensions: 143.6x 70.9×7.7 mm; Weight: 174grams
iPhone X: 5 Unique Features That Apple Is Betting On To Justify The Price Tag
1. First iPhone To Feature OLED Display
Apple iPhone X is the only one of the three latest iPhones to come with a 5.8-inch OLED display. The screen features Apple’s highest resolution display offering 2436 x 1125 pixels at a density of 458ppi. The company has termed this as the Super Retina unit and the HDR display supports Dolby Vision as well as HDR10.
2. All Glass-And-Stainless Steel Body
Apple iPhone X comes packed within an all-glass front and back which is claimed to be the most durable glass ever introduced in a smartphone, while a highly polished and surgical-grade stainless steel band perfectly wraps around to reinforce the iPhone X.
This is backed by a seven-layer color process which allows for precise color hues as well as opacity on the glass finish while a reflective optical layer helps in enhancing the rich colors, making iPhone X’s design as elegant as it is durable.
3. Powered 64-bit A11 Six-core Bionic Processor
The iOS 11 update is a giant as well as monumental leap for Apple as it brings along a spree of new features which are expected to make users’ experience a lot better. The A11 bionic chipset has a six-core CPU design and the company claims that it will offer two hours worth of more battery life than iPhone 7, making iPhone X, a dream come true for power users.
Also Read: iOS 11 Features That Android UI Users Will Miss
4. No Home Button And TouchID Makes Way For FaceID
Courtesy edge-to-edge display of iPhone X, there’s no Home button and users will now just need to tap on the device to ‘wake it up’. iPhone X has also got a new gesture language whiling swiping up will launch the multi-tasking window. To switch from one app to another, users just need to pause mid-swipe and holding the larger side button will launch Apple’s Assistant, Siri.
The iPhone X doesn’t come with a fingerprint sensor, even under the screen, which was expected earlier and the TouchID has been replaced by FaceID. The smartphone uses facial recognition to unlock and you can set up their FaceID by letting the iPhone X make a detailed digital “map” of your face.
While Apple claims that FaceID is much easier and safer, while there is a one in a million chance of the iPhone X being hacked.
5. Wireless Charging
Wireless charging comes as standard in iPhone X, iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus and uses Qi charging tech which is also used by Samsung Electronics. Apple, during the event also announced that it is making a charging mat named AirPower which can simultaneously charge an iPhone, AirPods and Apple Watch.
Other than these five features, the highlights of the iPhone X includes a dual rear camera which now supports Dual optical image stabilization and a 7MP front camera which has been updated to support bokeh effects.
Priced at $999 (Rs 64,000) for the 64GB storage variant and $1599 (Rs 74,000) for the 256GB variant, iPhone X seems to be justifying its price tag but when it comes to the Indian prices, it is said that while the 64GB variant will cost around Rs 89,000, the 256GB storage variant will come with a price tag of Rs 1,02,000.