As promised, Gionee has launched its feature-packed winter lineup and is ready to take on the likes of OnePlus, Xiaomi and Lenovo with eight new launched ranging from the entry-level to the premium flagship segment which starts from Rs 40,000.
However, without any doubt, the Gionee S11s feels like the most promising device and there are two most constructive reasons behind this. First, it is launched in direct competition against the OnePlus 5T and Honor 8 Pro, and this is the least competitive segment that we have right now. Secondly, Gionee is still to work on their market presence in the entry-level and premium flagship segments, hence the likes of Gionee F205 (CNY 999), F6 (CNY 1,299), and M7 Plus (CNY 4,399) will definitely struggle to prove their worth.
Gionee S11s, on the other hand, is our safest bet in the Chinese Manufacturers attempt at going mainstream with features like bezel-less display and dual camera setups. Since Gionee S11s is the company’s flagship device for global markets, it will the one to make the most scrutiny but as far as the specs-sheet is concerned, it might come out as a clear winner for Gionee.
Let’s put the Gionee S11s to the test of time and see what exactly it has to offer and how well can the smartphone cope up with the competition.
Gionee S11s Specifications
- 6.01-inch (2160 × 1080) 18:9 FHD+ FullView screen with AMOLED 2.5D curved glass display, protected by Corning Gorilla Glass, offering 86% screen-to-body ratio and 403 PPI.
- 2.3GHz Octa-Core MediaTek Helio P30 SoC couple with ARM Mali-G71 MP2 GPU for graphics
- 6GB LPDDR4X RAM and 64GB of internal storage, expandable up to 128GB with microSD
- Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) out of the box with Amigo OS 5.0 on top
- Hybrid Dual SIM and Fingerprint sensor at the rear panel
- 16MP rear camera with dual-tone LED flash, f/1.8 aperture, 2x digital zoom, 8MP secondary with camera f/2.0 aperture and PDAF
- 20MP front camera with f/1.8 aperture and 8MP secondary camera
- Camera features: Both the rear and front setup comes with Face Beauty 4.0 modes and customized photo processor for enhanced HDR Effect along with hardware-level bokeh and wider dynamic range.
- 3600mAh battery with fast charging
- Dimensions: 155.82 x 72.58 x 6.95mm and Weight: 177g
- 4G VoLTE, Bluetooth 4.2, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4 + 5GHz), GPS + GLONASS, Micro USB Type-C support and 3.5mm audio jack.
Gionee S11s Price And Availability
Priced at 3299 yuan (Rs. 32,270 approx.), the Gionee S11S will be available in Gold and Platinum Silver color options from December 2017 in China while the Global launch is expected in the first quarter of 2018.
However, there is also a Gionee S11 ‘non-S’ version which is priced at 1,799 yuan (Rs 17,500 approx.) and comes with a 5.99-inch Full HD+ display, 16MP+8MP front camera, 16MP+5MP rear camera, MediaTek Helio P23 processor under the hood, 4GB RAM and 64GB of internal storage. While the whole package is backed by a 3410 mAh battery, it shares the same metal-clad design of Gionee S11s.
Gionee S11s Review
- Despite the huge size, Gionee S11s feels bearable for single-handed usage due to the curved edges and sleek built but the metal back comes with a slippery surface and it is advised to ‘handle it with care’.
- The 6.01-inch is definitely a blessing for media consumption as it offers great viewing angles, enough brightness for even outdoor usage and clear as well as crisp color production.
- The best thing about this device the double dual camera setup, last seen in the Honor 9i, which gives it an edge over its competition. In real world, the results are detailed, autofocus works seamlessly and shutter speed is one of the best we have seen in this segment.
- Amigo OS 5.0, although being a heavy skin, offers practical pre-installed applications and the overall UI doesn’t seem cluttered. Moreover, with Android 7.1.1 (Nougat) users will be able to use features like split screen view, bundled notifications and Google Assistant, to name a few.
- While we have our doubts over the long-term effects of MediaTek Helio P30 SoC on the Gionee S11s, heavy games like Mortal Combat and Asphalt 8 will not be subjected to any lags or frame drops while multitasking with demanding apps will be effectively handled by 6GB of RAM.
- The 3600mAh battery completely compliments this powerful package and can easily offer a whole day worth of juice with moderate usage.
The thing is, OnePlus 5T has set a huge benchmark as far as performance is concerned and we have our doubts over the MediaTek Helio P30 chipset which is somewhat of a compromise in front of the SD 835 SoC. That said, Gionee S11s is looking to challenge the 5T, along with Honor 8 Pro, in its own backyard with the dual camera setup at the rear as well as at the front. And yes, Gionee S11s is putting its money where its mouth is, because the four-cameras will offer great results in the real world.
Moreover, it also comes with a Moto X4-type metallic built and all these features have taken Gionee S11s at the top with the big guns, making it one of the highly recommended device, that is, if you can trust the brand.