India has won the test series against New Zealand with a clean sweep (3-0). The series have increased the tally of accomplishments for Virat Kohli and his team, both individually and as a team. We got to see some elite performances by the Indian side as all the players contributed equally in the win and after a long time, we got to see the whole Indian Team performing.
In the third test, Virat Kohli, Ajinkya Rahane, Gautam Gambhir, Cheteshwar Pujara and Rohit Sharma scored at least a half-century each while the lower order also contributed some vital runs. Virat Kohli scored a double century and Ajinkya Rahane came close to scoring one such in the first innings while Cheteshwar Pujara scored a century in the second innings.
In the bowling department, not much was left for the other bowlers as Ravichandran Ashwin claimed 13 out of the 20 available wickets. But the other bowlers were also able to restraint the kiwis to rotate the strike.
Many records were broken and new ones were made. Here is a tally of some of those records:
1. It was the first time that India registered a clean sweep against New Zealand in test matches.
2. Virat Kohli became the third Indian captain to lead his team to a whitewash of the opponents, Mohammad Azharuddin and MS Dhoni being the others.
3. Virat Kohli Became the first Indian Captain to score a double hundred twice.
4. Virat Kohli made his career best of 211 runs in a test match,his previous record being of 200 runs.
5. Cheteshwar Pujara scored his second best test century in 148 balls, his previous record being scoring hundred in 146 balls. This was also his eighth century, two of them being against New Zealand.
6. Pujara scored his fourth fifty-plus innings in a single series, his previous record being registering three fifty-plus innings against Australia in 2012-13.
7. Pujara also became the third Indian batsman to register four fifty-plus innings, Mohinder Amarnath and Rahul Dravid being the others.
8. Gautam Gambhir scored the second fastest fifty of his test career and his fourth against New Zealand.
9. Ajinkya Rahane scored his career best 188 runs in test matches.
- Ashwin registered his sixth 10 wicket haul which is only bettered by Anil Kumble (8 times)
- R.Ashwin made it to the top of the tally of bowlers of 2016 by taking 44 wickets in test matches.
- Ashwin claimed his seventh Man Of The Series Award of his test career.
- His tally of 151 wickets in 21 test matches with an average of 18.12 is a record in itself. It comprises of 17 five wicket and 5 ten wicket hauls.
- Anil Kumble and R.Ashwin share the record of most ten wicket hauls (five) leading the team to the victory.
12 October 2016