In this lockdown period, where most of us are required to do our work or studies online, we tend to forget the strain it gives us as we keep looking at our mobile or computer screens continuously for hours. Now, this doesn’t only happen with the adults but also with young children who love playing games and watching videos on YouTube on their mobiles or Personal Computers, along with the current schooling at home which happens digitally. All the eye-related or vision-related problems that happen to us because of the excess use of a computer or mobile phones are termed as Computer Vision Syndrome, a.k.a, digital eye strain.
While the problem was always prevalent in the current generation, the recent COVID lockdown put the entire thing on a fast track mode. More people are now logging in to their digital devices than ever before, and since they don’t have much to do, the line between work and entertainment on these devices has also blurred. So let’s know more about this syndrome in detail along with, what causes this computer vision syndrome, what the symptoms are and how can we actually treat it.
What Are The Causes of Computer Vision Syndrome?
If you already have your reading glasses or any glasses to protect you from the harmful rays exhibited from screens, then it is a must that you keep them on at all times, especially when you’re using your digital screens for longer than 10 minutes.
Not wearing it could give a boost to this syndrome. With increasing age, one must keep a check on the eyesight and get corrected glasses if required. Staring continuously on screens or in poor lighting could be another cause. Incorrect viewing distance between computer and eyes or improper posture could also cause this syndrome.
Computer Vision Syndrome Symptoms
Here are the symptoms that you could experience if you have computer vision syndrome:
1. Blurred or double vision – A problem in the vision could surely mean that you’ve entered the zone of this syndrome, and the best way to get out would be to get corrected glasses as soon as possible so that the situation doesn’t become worse.
2. If you’re experiencing eye fatigue or irritated eyes, this could even mean that you’ve got the syndrome. Having a dry eye or burning sensation in the eyes could make your eyes red and watery and it could simply mean that you have the syndrome now.
3. Headaches and pain in the eye are another one of the most prevalent symptoms of one suffering from computer vision syndrome.
How to Treat And Prevent Computer Vision Syndrome?
The first and foremost treatment which would be given to you if you’re diagnosed with Computer Vision Syndrome is that you’ll be given a pair of spectacles based on your eyesight. There is no other actual treatment for it, apart from surgeries, but you can prevent it by following some basic changes in your lifestyle:
1. Change the position of your computer screens in case any glare is formed upon the screen either by some other light or from the window.
2. Make sure that the minimum distance between the screen and your eyes is nearly 25-30 inches and arranged below your eye level.
3. Follow the 20-20-20 rule by taking a break after every 20 minutes for 20 seconds and look at least 20 feet away.
4. Change the font size and brightness of your screen based on your preference and such that it doesn’t cause stress in your eyes.
So, if you’re on the brink of actually getting this Computer Vision Syndrome by glaring into the computer screens for hours, then you must avoid the usage of digital gadgets as much as possible for a few days. Always remember, prevention is always better than cure and it’d be really better to maintain precautions so that you don’t get the syndrome.
Suggested Reads: How To Avoid Eye Strain At Work In 5 Simple Ways
We all know that the world is becoming digital and this has required us to spend a lot of time in front of our screens, from our desktops to laptops to tablets to phones to our smartwatches, but we just can’t allow our health condition to worsen because of it. Hence, follow the prevention methods and get your eyes checked on a regular basis and maintain the health of your sight.