Giloy is a tropical creeper which can be planted anew using only the stem. Since ancient times Ayurveda has put it to much use because of its abundant medicinal qualities. Its Sanskrit name is ‘Amrita’ which literally means ‘the root of immortality’. The stem of giloy is used to extract most of the medicinal extracts but the roots are also used sometimes. Giloy juice, powder and capsules are approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) of India. Benefits of Giloy have been accepted in households due to its general immunity boosting capability.
The most commonly used form of giloy is its commercially available juice. If you have a creeper at your home you can make a juice or even boil it into a soup.
Giloy Juice at Home
Giloy Soup at Home
If you don’t have a giloy creeper at home you can even use fresh or dried roots to obtain a kadha. Fresh giloy root can be boiled in 2 glasses of water till it is reduced to half. Strain and drink this. Dried giloy roots can be soaked overnight in a glass of water and had after straining in the morning.
For best results, giloy juice should be taken in the morning, preferably on an empty stomach. It is not advisable to have it at night.
Suggested Read: Benefits of Ashwagandha: The Miracle Berry
Benefits of Giloy –
- Giloy boosts bowel movement and helps the functioning of the digestive system.
- It is an excellent blood sugar regulator and helps people who have type- two diabetes, in maintaining their sugar level.
- Giloy consumed in a capsule form helps reduce symptoms of Dengue, Malaria and Swine Flu.
- Regular consumption of giloy improves overall immunity which helps the body fight against a lot of diseases.
- Giloy has been known to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Giloy has anti-inflammatory qualities which makes it useful against the common cold, cough and respiratory problems.
- Giloy powder boiled in milk with ginger helps get rid of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Applying cold packs made of giloy juice over the eyes improves vision.
- Benefits of giloy includes its anti-ageing properties that help reduce the visual signs of aging and give you glowing skin.
Giloy has no serious side effects. Diabetic people should use it with caution over a long term so that it does not cause dangerously low levels of blood sugar. Excessive use may cause constipation in some cases. Benefits of giloy are numerous and there are no such side effects of the potent medicinal herb.
Suggested Read: Tulasi – The All in One Medicine Cabinet