On Thursday, Tesla announced that all the new cars produced by the company will be available with a self-driving hardware from now on. Tesla CEO, Elon Musk said that all the cars will be equipped with Level 5 hardware which will help the self-driving function to work autonomously.
Watch the video here:
( Video Courtesy: WIRED )
The Tesla Officials also claimed that this new technology has increased the safety levels of driving by at least twice to the levels of human driving. They also stated that Model S and Model X vehicles of Tesla are currently in production with this new hardware.
Here are some of the Important features of this new hardware:
- The new models will be equipped with eight cameras and this will offer a 360 degree view around the car with a range of 820 feet.
- The cars will come with 12 updated ultrasonic sensors, allowing the hardware to detect unforeseen objects on the road.
- A forward facing radar will be available to see through fog, dust and heavy rain.
- A computer capable of 12 trillion operations per second, will be installed to increase the computing power for self-driving mode. The feat was achieved because of the newly developed Sonar and Neural Net Vision Technology.
- It is also able to find a parking spot and that too ignoring the reserved ones.
- Owners can even ‘Summon’ the car to pick them up and this is possible with the Snake Charger technology, which the company revealed last year.
Elon Musk also informed about the digital user guide software implanted in the cars that will help the customers to understand its functioning. However, the customers have to validate the software functions and go through the regulations, to activate the self-driving software.
The company is also planning to increase the capabilities of this new hardware to 10 times of an average human driver.
24 October 2016