aIt seems like Xiaomi has mastered the recipe of making well-packaged affordable smartphones as the Chinese smartphone maker has just launched the Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro which comes with a display notch along with a host of other benchmark features, as far as the budget segment is concerned. Moreover, the Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro is the first smartphone in the Redmi-series to comes with a display notch and 19:9 display.
Other than that, the Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro comes with a unimetal body, AI-powered cameras along with several other features that make it the perfect budget smartphone. On the other hand, the Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro essentially seems to be an upgraded version of the Redmi Y2 which was recently launched in India.
That being said, what we were really unhappy is the fact that the Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro still doesn’t come with MIUI 10 out of the box, which was introduced by the company a while back. On the other hand, there are a plethora of AI-backed features along with some nifty additions to the package which makes Redmi 6 Pro an unmatched package.
Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro Specifications
- 5.84-inch Full HD+ (2280×1080 pixels) display with a notch on top, 19:9 aspect ratio, 2.5D curved glass, 500 nits brightness, 84 per cent NTSC Color Gamut and 1500:1 contrast ratio,
- Octa-Core Snapdragon 625 SoC clocked at 2GHz and coupled with Adreno 506 GPU for graphics.
- 3GB of RAM with 32GB of inbuilt storage, 4GB of RAM with 32GB of inbuilt storage and 4GB of RAM with 64GB of inbuilt storage, expandable up to 256GB via microSD card.
- Android 8.1 (Oreo) out of the box with MIUI 9.5 on top, upgradable to MIUI 10
- Dual SIM (nano + nano) connectivity and Infrared sensor
- Rear-mounted fingerprint scanner an AI-based facial recognition for biometrics
- 12-megapixel primary rear camera with Sony IMX486 sensor, LED Flash, 1.25um pixel size, f/2.2 aperture, PDAF and a secondary 5-megapixel camera with Samsung S5K5E8 sensor, f/2.2 aperture, and 1.12um pixel size
- 5-megapixel front-facing camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro measures 149.33×71.68×8.75mm and Weighs 178 grams
- 4G VoLTE, Bluetooth 4.2, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, GPS + GLONASS, Micro USB support and a 3.5mm audio jack
- 4000mAh non-removable battery with no support for fast charging
Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro Price And Availability
The Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro will be made available in Blue, Black, Rose Gold, Gold, and Red colour options and will go on sale in China starting from June 26th. The Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro has been priced at 999 yuan (Rs. 10,520 approx.) for the 3GB RAM and 32GB storage version, 1199 yuan (Rs. 12,510 approx.) for the 4GB RAM and 32GB storage version and while the 4GB RAM and 64GB storage version is priced at 1299 yuan (Rs. 13,555 approx.).
Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro: Five Best Features
As mentioned above, the Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro has become the first Redmi handset to sport a display notch as well as 19:9 aspect ratio which essentially results in more real estate for multimedia consumption on the screen while also enhancing the overall user experience. On the other hand, the Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro features a 5.84-inch Full HD+ display which offers 1080×2280 pixels resolution that further results in ample of brightness levels even for watching videos under direct sunlight and a great overall viewing angles.
The Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro features dual cameras at the rear where the primary sensor comes with a 12-megapixel lens while the secondary sensor features a 5-megapixel lens paired with Phase Detection Autofocus (PDAF) and LED flash. Moreover, the 5-megapixel secondary lens is used for clicking pictures with shallow depth of field (bokeh mode) and portrait shots. The rear camera module also uses artificial intelligence (AI) in order to help portrait shots come out with even better details. The Redmi 6 Pro comes with a 16-megapixel front sensor which is paired with LED flash, AI beautification and support for face unlock feature.
As mentioned above, Redmi 6 Pro is essentially a Redmi Y2 with a display notch, metal build, and a bigger battery, just like the ‘Y2’, the Redmi 6 Pro also comes with the face unlock feature for biometrics. The facial recognition tech present in the smartphone uses artificial intelligence (AI) and as far as budget smartphones are concerned, this is still one of the most popular features in the segment.
A dedicated microSD slot
Having a dedicated microSD card slot is always a good thing but the feature is still a rarity in Xiaomi-branded smartphone. However, the Xiaomi Redmi 6 pro comes with a dedicated microSD card slot which means that users won’t be compromising on either an additional cellular connection or storage expansion.
Xiaomi’s Xiao AI voice assistant
If you thought that the artificial intelligence-integrated cameras are the end of AI-backed features that come in the Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro, well, it was just a piece of the whole pie. The Chinese manufacturer has made its in-house personal assistant available with the Redmi 6 Pro. While the smartphone comes with Xiao AI integration, the virtual voice assistant is said to be Xiaomi’s take on Apple’s Siri, Samsung’s Bixby, Amazon’s Alexa and Google Assistant. Moreover, if Xiaomi is to be believed, Xiaomi’s Xiao AI is smarter than all of the above-mentioned assistants.