Table of Contents
For those who were expecting Xiaomi’s ‘Desh Ka Smartphone’ to be launched at a rock-bottom price to take on the likes JioPhone, Micromax Bharat 1 and the Airtel Karbonn A40, there is a bad news. Xiaomi Redmi 5A has been launched as the so-called ‘Desh Ka Smartphone’ and it is not an all-new device.
However, when it’s a Xiaomi, the VFM tag has always remained a constant and Xiaomi Redmi 5A is no exception. It has all the latest hardware and software from the Chinese smartphone maker and the one thing that we really like is the fact that the infrared sensor is still present on the specs-sheet despite its entry-level price tag.
That said, there is not much to differentiate the Xiaomi Redmi 5A from its predecessor, the Redmi 4A which is already the leading entry-level smartphone in India. However, MIUI 9 comes as stock in Xiaomi Redmi 5A and it is a Rs 1000 cheaper than the 4A.
Xiaomi Redmi 5A Specifications
- 5-inch (1280 x 720) HD IPS display offering 1000: 1 contrast ratio, 296 PPI, and 72% color gamut.
- 1.4GHz Quad-Core Snapdragon 425 SoC coupled with Adreno 308 500MHz GPU.
- 2GB RAM with 16GB of internal storage and 3GB RAM with 32GB of internal storage, both expandable up to 128GB via microSD.
- Android 7.1.2 Nougat out of the box with MIUI 9 on top.
- 13MP rear camera with LED Flash, PDAF, 5-lens system, f/2.2 aperture and 1080p video recording.
- 5MP front-facing camera with f/2.0 aperture and fixed focus.
- 3000mAh non-removable battery, offering 8-days of standby time.
- Dual SIM support with a dedicated MicroSD card holder and Infrared sensor.
- Dimensions: 140.4 x 70.1 mm x 8.35 mm and Weight: 137g
- 4G VoLTE, Bluetooth 4.1, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, GPS + GLONASS, Micro USB support and a 3.5 mm audio jack.
Xiaomi Redmi 5A Price And Availability
Available in Platinum Silver, Rose Gold and Champagne Gold colors, Xiaomi Redmi 5A is priced at Rs. 4999 for the 2GB/16GB version and Rs. 6,999 for the 3GB/32GB storage version. The lower-end variant will cost Rs 5,999 after the first five million units are sold as this is just an introductory offer.
Xiaomi Redmi 5A will be available exclusively on Flipkart, Mi.com, Mi Home Stores as well as other partner stores from December 7th, and considering the introductory offer, expect a huge hoard everywhere, if you want this handset.
Xiaomi Redmi 5A Review
What we like about Xiaomi Redmi 5A
- Despite a polycarbonate built, it feels durable good and the phone just doesn’t slip out of your hands. Moreover, with curved edges and a sleek design, it is easy to operate single-handedly.
- The 5-inch display offers good, not great, viewing angles and brightness levels for outdoor usage. It is one of the best devices for multimedia consumption in this segment and also comes with a reading mode.
- For performance speakers, SD 425 SoC is the best chipset you can get at Rs Rs. 4999 and coupled with 2GB RAM and a dedicated microSD slot, it makes for a ‘good enough’ package for moderate gaming and multitasking duties.
- Since you will be buying the Xiaomi Redmi 5A to experience the Android world for the first time, in most cases, Xiaomi has done a great job by stocking the skin with the recently launched MIUI which offers an almost pure Android-like experience with features like Google Assistant and split-screen view.
- While the combination of 13MP and 5 MP cameras is one the best in this segment while it struggles with grains under low-lighting conditions, it performs comparatively well under over-exposed conditions, offering great detailing and color production.
What we didn’t like about Xiaomi Redmi 5A
- No NFC support
- The front camera struggles while clicking pictures indoors.
- Considering the price tag, while we couldn’t ask for more, we would love a fingerprint scanner.
- It’s hard to differentiate between the likes of Y1 Lite, Redmi 4A, and Xiaomi Redmi 5A.
If you have already managed to get your hands on a Y1 Lite or Redmi 4A, there is not even a single reason to buy the Xiaomi Redmi 5A. However, if you are new to the smartphone world, it can indeed be the best handset you can go for in the market.