After much anticipation, the Xiaomi Mi 6X has finally been launched in China and while the smartphone was already subjected to a hell lot of rumors and leaks, the Xiaomi Mi 6X still managed to live up to its hype as the device looks promising with features such a dual-rear cameras, 18:9 aspect ratio and Android Oreo out-of-the-box. The new Mi 6X device, which is widely expected to be rebranded as Mi A2 with stock Android UI in India, comes with a familiar design, Android 8.1 Oreo-based custom skin and AI integration in the camera.
As is typical for the Chinese smartphone manufacturer, Xiaomi Mi 6X packs an insane value for money with its solid specs as well as low price point. While there is a huge focus on Artificial Intelligence-integration with the device, Xiaomi is also touting up the camera performance. As expected, the Mi 5X successor has been launched with the Snapdragon 660 processor, which will be powering the device.
One of the biggest highlights of the Xiaomi Mi 6X are the 20MP sensors which are present on both the front and back panels. They use pixel binning technology while combining the information gathered from four pixels in order to create one large 2.0µm pixel. “This greatly improves the sensor’s light sensitivity, enabling users to capture clearer and brighter images, as well as better videos, in low-light conditions,” said Xiaomi. The smartphone also comes integrated with Xiao Ai voice assistant which can understand hundreds of commands and that too in six different categories.
While the secondary sensor on the rear camera module is used to capture depth information for portrait images with AI and has intelligent scent detection which can detect 12 different scenes, it can retouch images of 206 different scenes instantly and that too in 25 different categories. On the other hand, the 20-megapixel Sony IMX376 sensor at the front camera offers AI beautification.
While the smartphone comes with an all-metal body and dual speakers present at the bottom, all in all, it’s a pretty simple and typical affair, but the Xiaomi Mi 6X looks like it’ll be a winner.
Xiaomi Mi 6X Specifications
- 5.99-inch (2160×1080) Full HD+ display with 18:9 aspect ratio, 2.5D curved glass, 1500:1 contrast ratio and Corning Gorilla Glass protection.
- 64-bit octa-core Snapdragon 660 14nm processor clocked at 1.8GHz and coupled with Adreno 512 GPU for graphics.
- 6GB LPDDR 4x RAM and 64GB/ 128GB (eMMC 5.1) of internal storage storage, 4GB LPDDR 4x RAM and 64GB of inbuilt storage.
- Android 8.1 (Oreo) out of the box with MIUI 9.5 on top
- Dual SIM support, Infrared sensor and Fingerprint scanner at the rear panel.
- 12MP rear camera with f/1.75 aperture, Sony IMX486 sensor, LED flash, 1.25μm pixel size, a 20MP secondary camera with Sony IMX376 sensor, f/1.75 aperture and 4 in 1 – 2.0um pixels.
- 20MP front camera with Sony IMX376 sensor, soft LED flash and 4 in 1 – 2.0um pixels.
- 3010mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0 support
- Dimensions: 158.7×75.4×7.3mm and Weight: 168g
- Dual 4G VoLTE, Bluetooth 5 LE, Wi-Fi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz), GPS + GLONASS and USB Type-C support.
Xiaomi Mi 6X Price and Availability
The Xiaomi Mi 6X will be made available in Black, Gold, Rose Gold, Blue and Red color option and will be is priced at 1599 yuan (Rs. 16,910 approx.) for the 4GB RAM and 64GB storage version, 1799 yuan (Rs. 19,025 approx.) for the 6GB RAM and 64GB storage version while the top-end variant with 6GB RAM and 128GB storage costs 1999 yuan (Rs. 21,140 approx.). The smartphone will go on sale in China from April 27th.
As for its availability in India, the Xiaomi Mi 6X coupled be launched as the Xiaomi Mi A2 with stock Android and as the successor to the highly successful Mi A1 which turned the tables for Xiaomi in the budget smartphone segment after the Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 started to fade away.
Xiaomi Mi 6X Review (First Impressions)
While the Xiaomi Mi 6X misses out on features such as expandable storage and a 3.5 mm audio jack, the presence of MicroUSB type-C for charging and audio does make it up to some extent. Other than that, there is nothing that Xiaomi needs to worry about as they have once again launched a really promising device at a very affordable price.