Vivo Y83 has been launched just days after MediaTek unveiled its Helio P22 chipset and interestingly, the Vivo Y83 comes with MediaTek Helio P22 chipset under the hood, which is expected to become one of the leading processors to power soon to be launched budget smartphones from multiple makers. Other than being the first smartphone to be powered by MediaTek’s new chipset, the Vivo Y83 is a budget offering which comes with a bezel-less display.
While there is a slight notch right at the top of the display for sensors as well as the selfie camera, the Vivo Y83 doesn’t come with a fingerprint scanner, however, there is the facial recognition feature, which has become a benchmark of some sorts in the mid-budget segment. Coming back to the MediaTek Helio P22 chipset, the new system-on-chip (SoC) is said to be specifically designed for affordable mid-range smartphones and is also touted to be the first ever chipset to bring the 12nm manufacturing process into the budget smartphone segment.
MediaTek Helio P22 SoC has ARM Cortex-A53 processing units, comes with dual camera support as well as artificial intelligence enhancements via MediaTek NeuroPilot. The processor is said to support all common AI frameworks, which includes TensorFlow, Caffe, and Caffe2. It also comes with an auto-select function which supports more advanced features like Bokeh mode and Face Unlock.
While the smartphone runs Android 8.1 (Oreo) out of the box with Funtouch OS 4 on top, the custom skin brings features like intelligent reminders, Game mode among others. Vivo Y83 sports a glossy mirror black which changes color as light strikes the device at certain angles.
Vivo Y83 Specifications
- 6.22-inch HD+ (1520×720 pixels) IPS display with 19:9 aspect ratio and a notch
- Octa Core MediaTek Helio P22 12nm processor clocked at 2GHz and coupled with IMG PowerVR 650MHz GE8320 GPU for graphics.
- 4GB of RAM and 64GB of internal storage, expandable up to 256GB via microSD card
- Hybrid Dual SIM support (nano + nano / microSD) and Face Unlock
- Android 8.1 (Oreo) out of the box with Funtouch OS 4.0 on top.
- 13-megapixel rear camera coupled with f/2.2 aperture and LED flash 8-megapixel front camera with f/2.2 aperture
- Vivo Y83 measures 155.21x 75.24 x 7.7mm and Weighs 150 grams
- 4G VoLTE, Bluetooth 5, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz), GPS + GLONASS, Micro USB support and a 3.5 mm audio jack.
- 3260mAh non-removable battery with no support for fast charging.
Here are the Specifications of Vivo Y83:
|Display||6.22-inch HD+ (1520×720 pixels)|
|Processor||Octa Core MediaTek Helio P22|
|Operating System||Android 8.1 Oreo|
|Front Camera||8 MP|
|Sim Size||Dual SIM (nano + nano)|
|Expandable Storage||Upto 256 GB with microSD card|
|Sim Slot(s)||Dual SIM, GSM+GSM, Dual VoLTE|
Vivo Y83 Price and Availability
The Vivo Y83 will be available in Polar Black, Aurora White, and Charm Red colour options and for the unknown, the smartphone has already been made available in China through the Vivo online store. Coming to the price of Vivo Y83, the smartphone is priced a CNY 1,498 (Rs. 15,900 roughly), and it also comes bundled with earphones and a protective case.