Just after Samsung announced its Galaxy S9-duo, Sony has unveiled its Sony Xperia XZ2 at the MWC 2018 in Barcelona and from what we can unearth, this could be the smartphone which will the much-awaited success to the Japanese maker.
While Sony has been on a lookout for a lasting success but none of its launches in the last couple of years managed to leave a mark. It was clearly a time for change and that is what Sony Xperia XZ2 is all about.
Launched with the Snapdragon 845 SoC, a fresh design theme with 18:9 aspect ratio coupled with thin bezels and curved edges, the Sony Xperia XZ2 also has a repositioned fingerprint scanner at the rear panel instead of being embedded in the power button.
Another highlight of the smartphone is the upgraded 19MP sensor which now supports 960FPS videos and super-slow-motion videos in full HD (up from 720p). Moreover, Sony Xperia XZ2 is also the first smartphone in the world to come with 4K HDR Movie recording coupled with ISO sensitivity 51200 for pictures as well as ISO 12800 for videos.
Sony Xperia XZ2 Specifications
- 5.7-inch (2160 x 1080) Triluminos HDR Display with 18:9 aspect ratio, 423.68 PPI and Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection on both sides of the device.
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 SoC coupled with Adreno 630 GPU
- 4GB RAM and 64GB of internal memory, expandable up to 400GB with microSD card
- Android 8.0 (Oreo) out of the box.
- Single / Dual SIM and Fingerprint sensor at the rear panel.
- Water Resistant (IP65/IP68 rating)
- 19MP rear camera with dual-LED flash, Exmos RS sensor, 1/2.3″ sensor, f/2.0 aperture, Predictive capture, 4K video recording, 5-axis stabilization and 960fps slow-motion video recording.
- 5MP front camera with 1/ 5″ Exmor RS sensor, f/2.2 aperture and 23mm super wide-angle.
- USB Type-C audio (No 3.5mm audio jack), DSEE HX, LDAC and Stereo speaker with S-Force Front Surround.
- 3180mAh non-removable Battery with Qnovo Adaptive Charging, Qi Wireless charging and Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0.
- Dimensions: 153 x 72 x 11.1 mm and Weight: 198g
- 4G VoLTE, Bluetooth v5.0, WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) MIMO, GPS with GLONASS, NFC and USB 3.1 Type-C support.
Sony Xperia XZ2 Price And Availability
Announced with Liquid Black, Deep Green Liquid Silver and Ash Pink color options at Mobile World Congress 2018, the Sony Xperia XZ2 will roll out globally in March 2018. As for the pricing, while there has been no official statement from the Japanese multinational, we expect the smartphone to be priced near the $900-mark.
Sony Xperia XZ2 Review (First Impressions)
While we do miss the 3.5mm audio jack, Sony Xperia XZ2 despite having a single sensor at the rear, will offer immersive results in pictures as well as videos. On the other hand, the fact that it comes with Snapdragon 845 SoC and Android Oreo out of the box, makes this one of the most powerful handsets ever produced by the company.
On the other hand, Sony Xperia XZ2 marks a big leap in terms of design and those thin bezels along with a curved body protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5 from both sides, add to the oomph factor.