The year 2017 has been all about the best from every smartphone manufacturer and in between all this, it’s the end consumer that now has an opportunity to choose among the best of best. From bezel-less displays to dual cameras and from a heavy processor to Artificial intelligence, all these features have started coming out in just one package, which seems like a revolution of some sorts in the smartphone business, to say the least.
One such device is the Smartisan Nut Pro 2, which although being launched in China, for now, has attracted a hell lot of interest from global users. Smartisan is one of few Chinese smartphone makers that emphasize on design themes and rightly so, the Smartisan Nut Pro 2 is a mid-ranger android which comes with flagship alike classy design and a build that can be compared to the iPhone SE.
It’s neither a OnePlus 5 nor a Xiaomi Mi A1, it’s neither a Nokia 8 nor a Samsung Galaxy S8. Smartisan Nut Pro 2 is a one of its kind smartphone that you will love to flaunt and play with, without shelling out much from your pocket.
That said, as perfection is a myth it too comes with some drawbacks which on the other hand, could be neglected considering the overall package. But is it enough to compete in the recently established yet successful mid-range segment? Let’s see.
Smartisan Nut Pro 2 Specifications
- 5.99-inch (2160×1080) IPS Incell Full HD+ 18:9 display with 2.5D curved glass, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection, and 403 ppi
- 2.2 GHz Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 SoC coupled with Adreno 512 GPU
- 4GB/32GB, 4GB/64GB, 6GB/64GB, 6GB/128GB and 6GB/256GB variants, with expandable storage upto 256GB via microSD
- Android Nougat 7.1 based on Smartisan 4.0 UI.
- Dual SIM support and Fingerprint sensor embedded in the home button on the rear panel
- Dual cameras with 12MP f/1.8 Sony IMX386 sensor and 5MP Samsung S5K4E8 f/2.0 sensor at the rear with LED Flash
- 16MP front-facing camera with f/2.2 aperture, Artificial Intelligence-based beautification mode, and ArcSoft bokeh technology
- Camera Modes: Palm and Gender detection, Portrait, bokeh mode, HDR, Ultra HD, Live photo, Time-Lapse, Slow Motion, Face Unlock and Panorama
- 3500mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0
- Dimensions: 73.36 x 154.36 x 7.4 mm and Weight: 156 g
- 4G LTE, VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, GPS/GLONASS and USB Type-C port.
Smartisan Nut Pro 2 Price And Availability
Available in black, gold and red color options the Smartisan Nut Pro 2 can be bought at 1799 Yuan (Rs 17,630/$270) for the 4GB RAM + 32GB Internal Storage version, 1999 Yuan (Rs 19,589/$300) for the 4GB RAM + 64GB Internal Storage version, 2299 Yuan (Rs 22,530/$345) for the 6GB RAM + 64GB Internal Storage, 2699 Yuan (Rs 26,442/$407) for the 6GB RAM + 128GB Internal Storage version and 3299 Yuan (Rs 32,320/$497) for the 6GB RAM + 256GB Internal Storage version.
Pre-orders for Smartisan Nut Pro 2 have already begun on the official Smartisan website and JD.com.
There has been no word for its global launch but should it make a debut in India, the whole scenario in the mid-budget segment is expected to change for the better good.
Smartisan Nut Pro 2 Review (First Impressions)
- While Smartisan hasn’t fully gone bezel-less with the Nut Pro 2, the metal and glass finish does make the device look from a more premium segment. Moreover, with a sleek design and rounded edges, it’s pretty easy to hold and use with one hand, despite its size.
- The 5.99-inch display offers great viewing angles and the brightness levels did impress us considering its a China-made smartphone.
- Coming to the dual camera setup, while we can’t compare its performance with that of OnePlus 5 or Honor 8 Pro, at this price point, we love the addition of AI-powered beautification modes and image enhancing software. That said, overexposure does hamper the result while there are no grains or noises whatsoever.
- As for the hardware package, we really like the fact that Smartisan Nut Pro 2 is offered in 5 different RAM and storage variants so buyers can choose according to their needs. As for value for money, we recommend the 6GB/64GB variant.
- For heavy gamers, SD 660 will have enough juice to support games like Asphalt 8 and Mortal Kombat 5 while the RAM will ensure smooth multitasking with bigger applications.
- What we miss is the fact that there is no 3.5mm audio jack but with the fingerprint scanner integrated into the logo and a first of its kind dual-camera setup, we can easily let go of this drawback.
- The Smartisan 4.0 UI doesn’t come with a stock Android experience, however, when it comes to excessive bloatware, none of it exists.
Smartisan Nut Pro 2 is definitely one of the best launches of the year and while it offers an incredible performance package what we really love is the detailing in its design, which despite its size, makes it feel like a compact flagship.