Lionel Messi, the football mastermind scored his 500th goal for Barcelona in a game against Sevilla yesterday. This is Messi’s 469th goal in an official game and the rest were scored in friendly matches.
Out of the 500 goals, Messi has scored 320 goals in La Liga matches and after the last match against Sevilla his current year tally has come to 16 goals despite being out of the game for several weeks because of an injury.
Not everybody knows that Lionel Messi was once a malnourished kid and signed his first football contract on a tissue paper. He is also called the ‘Little Guy’ but the name has nothing to do with is capabilities.
Born on 24th June 1987, in Argentina, the soccer player moved to Spain at the age of 13 years when the Barcelona Club agreed to pay for his hormone deficiency treatments. However, the contract stated that he would play for Barcelona after his treatment and the rest is history.
Lionel Messi has come a long way from there and now we would like to discuss about some of the records he has created in all these years. The list can go on and on, however, here are some of the records that define him as the best soccer player in the world:
- He is the only player to score more than 40 club goals in seven consecutive seasons.
- He has won the FIFA Ballon d’Or award five times, the most by a soccer player.
- He has scored the most goals (5) in Club World Cups. Luis Suarez and Delgado have also scored the same number of goals.
- Messi was included 9 times in the top three of FIFA Ballon d’Or award, the most by a player.
- He holds a Guinness World Record of scoring the most number of goals in a calendar year. The record was made in 2012 when he scored 91 official goals in that year.
- Messi is also the youngest player to claim three Ballon d’Or awards at the age of 24 years, 6 months and 17 days.
We would like to conclude by congratulating Lionel Messi on this unbelievable achievement and hope to see him take the game to the next level (if there is one).
7 November 2016