“This tastes really sour.” It’s the sour, succulent lemon. Lemon is a fruit yet we eat very little quantity of it because of its taste. How to get the countless benefits of this tangy lemon in cooking, ailments and beauty care? Here are some lemon facts and benefits from the unending list that can be created.
Facts of Lemon Power
- Lemon is commonly used as lemonade, culinary purposes, lime water, pickle etc.
- The sour taste comes from the 6% citric acid.
- Vitamin C is the most common ingredient known to all.
- It also contains calcium, vitamins B5, B3, B1, and B2, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, carbohydrates, dietary fiber, fat, and protein.
No wonder lemon is a ‘magic fruit’. Lemon can add to your beautiful looks in several ways.
- Acne Beauty Treatment – Take a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and add few drops of fresh lemon juice. Apply on acne area using cotton ball and keep it for 15 minutes. Rinse and damp dry your face. It might sting a little for initial one or two minutes.
- Brighten Your Smile – Take soda from kitchen (sodium bicarbonate) to make a thick paste with drops of lemon juice. Use it to brush your teeth once a week and your teeth will be bright sparkling white.
- Dandruff Control Treatment – Massage your scalp with lemon juice and leave it for ten minutes. Now shampoo as usual. This is not a dandruff treatment but it helps controlling dandruff flakes.
- Reduce Signs of Aging – Apply freshly squeezed lemon juice on your face every day. This helps you lighten your freckles and age spots. But, don’t forget to be patient to see the results.
- Get off the odor – Remember those tiring days when the day was still going on and you did not smell your best. Next time, pick a slice of lemon and rub it on your armpits. This instant deodorant will leave you free from those nasty bacteria. So you start smelling fresh again.
Some health benefits of lemon are:
- Cancer Treatment and Prevention – Lemon contains multipurpose flavonoid compounds – salvestrol Q40 and limonene, which defend your body against different types of cancer. They also inhibit bacterial and fungal infection with their anti-microbial property.
- Improve Digestion – Warm water with lemon juice is a wonder drink for your digestive problems. Lemon juice purifies your blood, pacifies acidic juices in your belly, reduce indigestion and constipation. It also helps throw the toxins out of the body.
- As a disinfectant – Cuts and scrapes are common in day to day life. Squeeze few drops of lemon juice directly on the cut to stop bleeding and disinfect minor cuts.
- Tone down Asthma Symptoms – Take two tablespoons of lemon juice before each meal and before sleeping. This will clear your phlegm and reduce signs of asthma.
- Your weight loss partner – Drink warm lemon water every morning. Lemon juice will help your body flush out the toxins and wastes. Its natural diuretic action will help reduce the water weight of your body.
- Vaginal infections – Use diluted lemon juice as a powerful antiseptic instead of douches and suppositories.
There are some more surprises beyond health and beauty from this yellow lemon fruit.
- Fabric Bleach – You may be using chlorine bleach to remove those stubborn stains. Soak your delicate fabrics in lemon juice solution made by mixing baking soda for half an hour before washing. This homemade bleach is gentle to your clothes but equally effective.
- Cleaning brass and chrome stuff – Brass, copper and stainless steel in integral to any household. If the metals at your home are tarnished, coat the affected area with a paste made from lemon juice and salt (or baking soda). Leave it for 5 minutes and then rinse in warm water and rub dry with a soft cotton cloth. Get your kitchen sink sparkling clean with this wonder mix.
- Homemade Moth Balls – Take ripe lemons and stud them heavily with cloves. Keep them in your closet for an amazing odor filling your wardrobe and room. This lemon will slowly dry and continue to spread fragrance.
Do not forget the lemon rind which is 5 to 10 times richer in vitamins than the succulent lemon. Experiment with this magic ball to get the best of health and beauty.