A birthday party, for all intents and purposes, is amongst the brightest celebrations anyone can ever have. Dozens of good wishes, tons of smiles, people turning up with bright presents and heartening smiles amid a party atmosphere at the backdrop- there’s never a dull moment in a birthday party.
However, it could be said, that not every birthday party is slated to end up in fun and frolic. At least, not a recent birthday party here in the middle of Forest Hills, at Charlotte, North Carolina.
You’d be rather shocked to learn what actually transpired in this particular birthday party, truth be told. After it was reportedly found out that the food that they were serving at this birthday party was strangely contaminated with faeces, dozens of individuals fell sick instantly.
And that’s not all; most of the attendees were caught vomiting vigorously at the conclusion of what certainly turned out to be a blasphemous ordeal for those in the attendance.
Contracted an infectious disease called shigella, that spreads through infected food, at least 40 people who had been part of the North Carolina potluck birthday party were seriously unwell. Here’s the strangest part. It was later revealed that the infection spread through food being contaminated with faeces after someone forgot to properly wash the hands with soap.
So where did this lead the party? It’s been found that, at least 40 out of 100 individuals who were guests in the party have immediately fallen sick. Some guests at the rather bizarre- who serves food contaminated with faeces- birthday party were so well, that they had to be put under the intensive care unit of certain hospitals, where they were found recovering there until Mid-Monday, having attended the gathering during the last weekend of June.
The Communicable Disease Control Director at a leading medical facility in North Carolina’s Forest Hills has also extended a word of caution that some other people who have hitherto remained unaffected might still fall ill in the coming days as this particular bug (regarding the contamination) may take a week to afflict people.
There’s concern in the voice of Carmel Clements, the Communicable Disease control director and here’s proof: Clements said anyone who thinks they have contracted shigella should seek immediately go to the hospital or contact the health department. Getting rid of diarrhoea is usually always simple and not such a complicated task. However, in this case, the diarrhoea is a complicated one; pretty significant, in fact- according to Director Gibbie Harris.
By all counts, this was no ordinary birthday party; it was-truth be told- a pretty ‘sick’ one. Anyone, the medical centre warns, who’s yet to get well should stay back at home and abstain from physical or emotional exertion. Such widespread has been the news of the food being contaminated in the birthday party that the health department in the region of Forest Hills, North Carolina has warned that anyone who’s even taken take-away food (i.e., the food from the birthday party) should immediately submit it for testing.
This is so, in order, to rule out any possibility of it being contaminated with the same faecal matter that caught up and worn down the others who were present. And that is not all. Health experts are also warning that the week starting from fourth of July- a remarkable week for Americans everywhere- one should be extra cautious about their food preparation. The common advice that is being spread everywhere is that one should be careful whilst preparing food at home or at other places and that food items such as raw meat should be kept away from other items safely.