Figs (Anjeer) is one of the oldest fruit available on our planet. They have a unique sweet and pungent taste and has a soft texture with edible seeds. It belongs to the family of the Mulberry tree, one of the popular dry fruit in India. Figs are considered to be nutrient-dense and they provide you with energy throughout the day. Here are more such benefits of figs.
This small pear-shaped dry fruit is packed with minerals, vitamins & antioxidants. Like any other dry fruit, it is used in making sweets (mithai), jams and other packed foods. Figs are consumed fresh as well as dried out to use them throughout the year since they perish fast. The fresh figs are available only from June to September.
Some of the Amazing Benefits of Figs
- Figs help in maintaining blood pressure. Since it is rich in potassium, it eliminates the digestive disorders and also improves in blood circulation
- One of the most potent health benefits of figs are they help in weight loss since they are high in dietary fibre. Also, the soluble fiber present in this fruit helps in reducing the cholesterol level
- They are a good source of calcium, therefore a regular serving of this fruit in your daily diet helps in increasing the bone density thereby reducing the risk of osteoporosis
- This power-packed fruit also contains Iron, which improves the hemoglobin level in the blood
- A Fig is also considered as an aphrodisiac since it is high in magnesium which produces the Androgen & Estrogen hormones. They are also considered a symbol of fertility in some cultures.
Suggested Read: Benefits of Vitamin C
- They are a good source of Vitamin A which is responsible for improving eye vision, the production of red & white blood cells and keeping the overall organs healthy
- As per some studies, figs leaf help in lowering the insulin levels. However, dried figs are high in sugar so diabetic people need to watch their intake of figs
- Figs are beneficial for healthy skin. It helps in fighting the skin allergies, dryness, itchiness and providing a shiny texture to the skin
- Figs promote healthy hair growth. The extract of this fruit is used in hair creams and shampoos as they provide the necessary moisture, hydrate the scalp and gives a shine to your tresses. Nowadays, the fig seed oil is available in the market which can be used on the skin as well as your scalp.
Best Time to Eat Figs
Just like Almonds, if the figs are soaked in water overnight and consumed in the morning, they are highly beneficial. You can soak them in milk also and having it in the morning will give you the essential energy for the day. However, there are no predefined rules to eat this fruit and it can be consumed at any time of the day.
Because of the richness this fruit carries, it can be taken on an empty stomach or as part of your breakfast. One should not consume more than 3-4 figs in a day as it may cause lowering the sugar level, especially for diabetic people.
The bottom line is, there are numerous health benefits of figs but it needs to be taken in moderation to savour its benefits.