On Monday, Balochistan witnessed one of the worst terror attacks of this year as 63 people died in a powerful blast in a Quetta hospital. The health minister of Balochistan, Rehmat Baloch had earlier said that 93 people had killed but later he clarified that the death count was 63 and many were gravely injured in the blast. Doctors have said that death toll could rise from 63.
The terrifying blast took place in the emergency ward of the Civil Hospital. There were nearly 100 lawyers who had gathered to collect the body of the president of the Balochistan Bar Association Bilal Anwar Kasi, who was shot dead hours earlier in the city.
A bomb disposal squad reported that the bomber was carrying eight to 10 kg of explosives hidden in his vest. The limbs of the bomber were found by the police. The death count included 2 journalists and 25 lawyers. The Aaj TV cameraman Shehzad Khan was also among the dead and he can be heard reciting the “Kalma” in a groaning voice on the camera as he died.
Three days of mourning is declared in Balochistan which is Pakistan’s biggest province by area. The Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif and Army chief Raheel Sharif flew to Quetta and visited the injured in the Civil Hospital.
The Chief Minister of Balochistan, Sanaullah Zehri accused the Indian intelligence agency RAW and said that it was responsible for the bombing.
Balochistan Home Minister Sarfaraz Bugti stated that, it was a security lapse and he will have the bombing, personally investigated.
Pakistan’s Prime Minister Sharif expressed his deep grief and anguish over the loss of human lives. Abdul Malik, the former Chief Minister of Balochistan called it the “blackest day” in the history of Balochistan.
8 August 2016
Avni S. Singh