Delhi would have the MCD elections on 23rd April, Sunday, and no matter how busy you are, you should definitely go in, to cast your vote because it affects you a lot more than what you think. From basic sanitation to social and road benefits, the Municipal Corporations are the first ones to hear and respond to your problems. Delhi, a semi-state, is a place where the municipal corporations cover more ground than the Delhi government.
While everyone has a favourite party that they always want to support, one should cast their votes in the Municipal Corporation election on the basis of which councillor will serve your interests best. These selected councillors will have the power and the best person can do the best work, no matter which party they belong to.
In 2012, the Municipal Corporation of Delhi was trifurcated into three smaller bodies – North Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC), South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) and East Delhi Municipal Corporation (EDMC). These smaller bodies cover a total of 96% of the total span of the National Capital and provide civic services to more than 1.1 crore population of the state. On the election day, people will cast their votes for 272 municipal wards in the city, which will result in the new municipal representatives.
While these MCD elections play a huge role in basically maintaining the city, the turnout for the elections, somehow not states the same. In 2012, 55% voters came to cast their votes which were considered ‘impressive’ as it was the highest polling percentage in the city since 1997. A large part of this problem is said to be on the lack of awareness that people have towards the importance of MCD elections.
This election is supposed to witness many firsts including AAP’s arrival, Yogendra Yadav and Prashant Bhushan’s Swaraj India’s arrival, an increase in the expenditure limit, from Rs 5 lakh to Rs 5.75 lakh, and the availability of ‘None Of The Above’ (NOTA) option.
Here are some of the things that MCD is responsible for:
1. MCD deals with common issues that some 1.5 crore population of Delhi faces. These are the first respondent to your civic problems.
2. MCD are said to have the cradle to crematorium approach which basically means that from your birth certificate to your death certificate. From the parks in your society to the footpath to the MCD schools that your kids go in, all of this is maintained by the Municipal Corporation of Delhi.
3. MCD is responsible for the Garbage disposal and drains maintenance in the city. Even the management of roads in the city is under them.
4. The parking situation in the city is also under MCD which is, again and again, called up for being an utter mess. A total of 276 parking lots in the city is managed by MCD.
5. Small shop owners and industries are affected greatly by the MCD as it’s their duty to issue licenses to the owners.
6. Your Community centres are maintained by the MCD.
7. Collection of property taxes and approval for building plan is also given by the MCD.
8. The pension for senior citizens is also given by the MCD along with running the Senior Citizen centres.
9. Health dispensaries and smaller hospitals also come under the MCD.
10. Street lighting in the city is worsening every day and the sole responsible for this is MCD.
All these responsibilities are under the MCD and whosoever wins the MCD elections would be the person who will run and maintain your life in the city.
The results of the election would come out on 26th April, Wednesday, and it will decide a lot about the future of the city and its different wards.
17th April 2017