In India, linking your Aadhaar card with your PAN (Permanent Account Number) card has become mandatory for various financial transactions, including filing income tax returns. The process of linking these two important documents is straightforward and can be done both online and offline. In this article, we provide a step-by-step guide to help Indians link their Aadhaar and PAN cards with ease.
Linking Aadhaar with PAN Online
- Using the Income Tax e-Filing Portal
- Using SMS
- Linking Aadhaar with PAN Offline
A. Using the Income Tax e-Filing Portal Follow these steps to link your Aadhaar and PAN cards through the Income Tax e-Filing portal:
- Visit the Income Tax e-Filing portal at https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/
- Click on the “Link Aadhaar” option under the “Quick Links” section.
- Enter your PAN and Aadhaar numbers in the respective fields.
- Provide your name as mentioned on your Aadhaar card. If you have provided your date of birth and gender on your PAN card, this information will be auto-filled.
- If your Aadhaar card mentions only the year of birth, check the box “I have only the year of birth in Aadhaar card.”
- Enter the captcha code or request an OTP (One-Time Password) by clicking “Request OTP.” The OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- Click the “Link Aadhaar” button to submit your request.
Once submitted, the Income Tax Department will validate your details. If successful, your Aadhaar and PAN cards will be linked.
B. Using SMS
You can also link your Aadhaar and PAN cards by sending an SMS to either 567678 or 56161. Follow this format for the SMS:
UIDPAN<space><12-digit Aadhaar><space><10-digit PAN>
Example: UIDPAN 123456789012 ABCDE1234F
C. Linking Aadhaar with PAN Offline
If you prefer linking your Aadhaar and PAN cards offline, you can do so by visiting a PAN service center. Follow these steps:
- Locate the nearest PAN service center by visiting the websites of either NSDL (https://www.tin-nsdl.com) or UTIITSL (https://www.utiitsl.com).
- Fill out the “Annexure-I” form, which is available at the service center.
- Attach a photocopy of your PAN card and Aadhaar card.
- Submit the form and required documents at the service center.
- You may be charged a nominal fee for this service.
Upon successful verification of the submitted documents, your Aadhaar and PAN cards will be linked.
Also Read: How to Check Your EPF Balance in India
Linking your Aadhaar card with your PAN card is an essential requirement for Indian citizens. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can complete the process quickly and easily, either online or offline. Ensure that your Aadhaar and PAN cards are linked to avoid any inconvenience during financial transactions or tax filing.